Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa Haran

wierd things happening to my templates

Lisa Haran

i have a template for my homepage, and the wireframe just disappeared.

From my homepage I clicked the about us page, and then started to strutcure the about us page wireframe and save it as another template.

Went back to my homepage and lots of elements had disappeared.

When you are editing a page that using a template when it saves, is it saving to the template also?

Also when I go to edit page, the template for this page is always at "select template" not the one I would have created. It defaults to "select template"

Lisa Haran

I suppose what I need to know is that if I edit a page wireframe that is using a certain template, when I hit save and publish, is the wireframe edit relevant to the page or template.

As I was under the impression that it was the template.

Also how do you make a section local or global?

Lisa Haran

i think the issue happened for me, when I was happy with the wireframe, I then went to my saved template used on this page, and selected "update template with current configuration" which I assumed it would replace the last saved version with this live version. I was unsure whether simply using publish was in face saving to the original template. Can you clarify if it does.

Rob

Hi, when you're on a page, and you save the template, that template is not necessarily global.  It's applied only to the page you're on.  But if you named the template, as you should, then you can go to any other page and apply that template by loading it into the page.

When you save the template, there are options when loading it, to apply the template as the global template for the site. This may help: http://docs.pagelines.com/configure/using-templates

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Lisa Haran

Hi Rob,

That document doesn't really cover much if I'm honest and I read it before creating my own templates.

I did name the template, made changes and saved. I thought it might just be local to that page so that it why I went into my saved template used on this page, and selected "update template with current configuration" .

When I did this, I lost the wireframe I created, now it didn't take long to build again but just want to make sure I am creating templates the correct way.

When you click edit page and brought to the page dashboard, the template isn't visible it's on default "select template"

however on the live editor my homepage has "last imported template - designcornerhomepage" which is the template I created.

Is this correct?

Lisa Haran

maybe this can show my issue a but better

look at page 

http://www.lisaharan.com/wordpress/test-2/

it is using the template:designcornerhomepage

so on this page http://www.lisaharan.com/wordpress/

it is also using the template:designcornerhomepage

Notice the difference?

Slideshow, carousel, I added these components and saved so how come they are only local to that page.

This is a dummy site I am testing DMS before working on the site next week so want to make sure I understand the issues I am coming across.

Thanks

Lisa Haran

so as another method to see what's going on here, I saved the wireframe http://www.lisaharan.com/wordpress/ AGAIN as template designcornerhomepage2

Created new page http://www.lisaharan.com/wordpress/test3/ using template designcornerhomepage2 and it works.

So why I'm wondering did it not work for template designcornerhomepage as the edits I was making to the page when  building the wireframe should have been saved to the template as I was going along, as I was hitting publish each time and and selected "update template with current configuration" but the edits did not save.

Instead you wait until the wireframe is built and then save as a template, this is a concern as what happens when you make an edit to the template wireframe? 

It simply does not save in my case.

Danny
Hi, Not sure what you mean by Wireframe. However, I am not able to recreate your issue with templates. When I create a template or make changes I do not encounter your issue. The only thing I can suggest is that you're not waiting for the changes to be saved.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Lisa Haran

Hi Danny,

When I mentioned wireframe, its the page layout, complete with preferred components.

It is not saving the changes I make to the templates after I initially create it.

Each edit I make, I hit publish and also select the template under templates and and select "update template with current configuration"

Rob

It sounds like you're missing one step. When you're finished creating the wireframe, are you updating and saving the template before applying it elsewhere? It sounds like with this one step skipped, when you're applying the template, it's the older wireframe you're essentially loading. Does that make sense?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur