Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sheilahoff

Sidebar position in relation to responsiveness

sheilahoff

I’m wondering about the left vs right sidebar question re: responsiveness. When there’s a left sidebar it seems to me that it displays first when things get narrow. Which has led me to using right sidebars so the primary content is seen before the secondary content. Am I correct? Is there a way to have a left sidebar but have the main content appear first when reducing the width? Thanks.

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle

Rob

Sheila, I think the reason for the load is that browsers read left to right, top to bottom, and the code for a left sidebar actually appears above the content area, where the right sidebar appears below it in source code.  I believe that the only way to make sure the left sidebar is displaying more responsively is to ensure that all measures (such as widths, heights, etc.) are set in percentages or em, not in px.  Still, I think it will load first, come what may, because of the reason cited above.

Your choice to use right side sidebars is probably the absolute safest bet. But that's just one moderator's opinion! :D

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

sheilahoff

Thanks Rob. That makes sense. I just wasn't sure what I didn't know. I was hoping maybe there's a secret to using a left sidebar that would still behave as desired when reduced width. All my DMS sites have a right sidebar. I'd love to learn a trick to making them left and still appropriately responsive. In the meantime I guess I'll still to the right.

Danny

Hi,

Do you mean you want to have left sidebars but when viewed on a mobile device, you wish to have the sidebar appear below your content ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

sheilahoff

Yes Danny that is EXACTLY what I mean! Is there a way to do that?

Danny
There is, but it will require extensive custom CSS. What you can do is view the CSS used to style the sidebars and base your custom code on that.

Please search our forums, before posting!

sheilahoff

Thanks Danny. But I'm more a designer than coder. That sounds above my pay grade! Maybe it's something I can hire someone to setup as a child theme for me and work from that when I want it on the left. Maybe someone will write a plug-in for us non-coders that'll do that?!