Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JawDesigns

Internet Explorer and DMS

JawDesigns

Hi to all,

I just wanted to put my mind at rest and ask you guys if DMS works well in Internet Explorer (recent versions)? I don't have IE and am running on a Mac but I sent a link to a friend of mine who said the site looked scrambled on IE. However the site for me works well on Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

Thanks for any help on this,

Cheers, James 

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Danny
DMS works with all modern browsers this includes IE. However, with IE being the awesome browser it is, previous version may have some issues. IE6 and IE7 are not supported, IE8 has minimum support as it doesn't support HTML5 and CSS3. However, this has been addressed with DMS Pro Tools, which includes scripts to assist IE8.

Please search our forums, before posting!

JawDesigns

Thanks a lot for your reply Danny, I have installed DMS PRO tools but I haven't read up too much on how I can use them? It would be great to get the site working better on IE8 so could you please point me into the right direction for more info on how the scripts (you mentioned above) can assist me please?

Thanks, James

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Rob

James,

The topmost check box in DMS Pro Tools will enable some additional IE8 compatibility  It may not fix every problem. If it doesn't then there's a way to use Browser Specific CSS.   Just tick that box and save.

Also included in the Tools (bottom of the screen), you'll see some of the additional hacks that have been added, helping to improve server performance.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

JawDesigns

Thanks a lot Rob for the additional information :-)

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Danny
The Pro Tools when active loads a few scripts automatically that allow IE8 to support @media queries and other things. So there is nothing you need to do apart from activate the plugin.

The option Rob mentions allows the inclusion of specific classes to your body class, which can be used to prefix your custom CSS to allow specific styling for each browser.

For example, if you view your site (with the Browser Specific CSS option active) in Google Chrome on your desktop PC/Mac, your body class will contain two new classes, .desktop and .chrome. If you view your site on a PC/Mac with the FireFox browser, you will have .desktop .firefox classes.

For more information on Browser Specific CSS and how to use it, see here - http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/browser-specific-css

JawDesigns

Nice one thanks Danny!

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Danny
No problem.