Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sheilahoff

Title loses formatting with dots

sheilahoff

I don't know if this is a DMS thing or possibly a WP thing but I could not recreate in any other theme. I've attached a  screen capture that shows the problem when a post title has a bunch of dots in it, the initial text prior to the dots doesn't take the assigned font when viewed in Chrome & IE. But it does look normal in FireFox. This is easier to see than explain.

dev site: http://carrie.hoffmangraphics.com/blog/

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle

Simon

Looks fine to me in chrome, FF and safari

sheilahoff

Really?! Thanks so much for checking. I wonder why I'm seeing this odd behavior. I guess I don't need to tell the client to stop putting dots in her titles then?! :-) thank again.

Simon

It really shouldnt make any difference, is it something you witnessed to or a screenshot the client sent to you? Only asking because when/if it does it again see whats going on in the css inspection tools.

sheilahoff

It's something I've noticed more than once on her site and I took the screen capture. I don't see any clues in Inspect Elements. I'm willing to just let it go if it's just on my own computer. Client hasn't mentioned it.

Danny
Hi, Not happening for me either, therefore, when it happens again, can you take a screenshot of the element when you inspect it via Chromes Web dev tools.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Rob

Hi Sheila,

Like Danny and Simon, I'm not seeing the issue either, but this little observation, if you look closely, there's a break in the dots, just before the last phrase.  I think the solution is to have your client add text with dots ... like this <= and not like this.... .here.

It's possible the browser is reading the last character and group of dots as a different font under certain unusual circumstances.  But I doubt many have seen those events.  It may simply be something you're seeing only because you're logged in as admin and in DMS. Hard to tell.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

sheilahoff

Interesting. So I logged out and still see this issue. And I had noticed what you're referring to as a space in the dots. I tried to remove it and it did not appear as an extra space. But I removed the last dot and now when I view the post the entire title is the wrong font instead of just the stuff leading up to the dot. This is crazy! So then I decided to place the ellipsis symbol there instead of a bunch of periods like this 

That didn't fix it either. I decided to try a little video to see if that helped you see what I'm seeing. I also tried removing the exclamation mark at the end of the ATM one (there are two posts with dots close to each other).

Here's a link to a 4 minute video: http://screencast.com/t/lggadQ7ZIgZ

Thank you.

sheilahoff

With Chrome Version 30.0.1599.69 m which is the most up to date

Clearly this is only an issue on my system so I think I need to let it go. I do appreciate everyone's help.

Rob

Sheila,

I've checked again, in all three major browsers, after watching the video and I still can't see any irregularity with the font.   The only possible thing I can think of is that you may have some script, toolbar, add-on or plugin for Chrome on your machine that's doing this.  I agree that it is most odd, but I don't think anyone at all is seeing this save you on that one browser.  That's the good news.   The bad news is I can't even find any reports of it happening to anyone else, anywhere on the Internet.

sheilahoff

Thanks Rob. I think we can safely put this thread to bed.

Rob

Done :)