Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hansonexperience

Archives page

hansonexperience

As anyone an example of an Archives page with Categories, Tags, Archives by month, year a.s.o

I do not know how to work with this in DMS

Jake

Hi hansonexperience - All the archive pages you list are created automatically within WordPress itself and the layout can be tweaked within DMS just like any other page. Could you be more specific with what you're looking to accomplish?

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

hansonexperience

I want a page where I can display these archives. Where can I find these pages?

Jake

So you'd like to have a page that folks land on that then displays a list of everything on your site broken down by either date or category or tag? When you say "where can I find these pages" I'm just not sure what you mean. There are widgets you can pull into sidebar that will list your categories and archives as well as a calendar widget. Perhaps that is what you're looking for?

Jake

I think you've got your answer on how to accomplish that with the link you provided and a little tweak. I recommend you download this plugin http://wordpress.org/plugins/shortcode-exec-php/ and then what you'll be able to do is create a page in Wordpress for displaying your archives, then within DMS visual editor add a text area to that page and drop the shortcodes you'd like to display in there.

hansonexperience

yes but they explain to set up a archives.php page with copying the page.php template. But the dms page.php is different from page.php templates in other themes. So I am a bit anxious to copy and paste that and then enter the code for the archvies etc. as I do not know what the effect would be.

Thoughts someone could have bult this kind of page in dms.

Rob

Hi hansonexperience,

I think you're asking to display custom groups of archived content by select criteria, such as year, month, or other taxonomies (categories).

Here's what I did.  A plugin called Custom Press lets me create as many taxonomies as I desire. For my articles, I can create categories for the years, then each month below the year as below:

Jan

Feb

Mar

Apr

May

When editing the post, I apply them to the custom categories that it belongs to, and in this case, I might apply an article written in February 2013 to both the 2013 category, and to Feb.   Since I can create a link to the categories, I don't have to create pages. just links, as the pages are dynamic.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Aires

I am new at DMS but I will share what I did to accomplish this.

1. I made a new page called it archives

2.installed custom sidebars 

3.I added a widgetized area-- which then asked me to customized the area

4. I then created a new sidebar gave it a name and then added archives, category and tags widgets to it

you can then save it as a template if you like 

and the result

http://i.imgur.com/YY5lhnn.png

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

Aires

Also forgot to add that originally I did this with 3 columns and each column had a widget in it but I didnt like it, but it is possible.

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

hansonexperience

Aires ah yes that could me a good trick. I will try that. Thx!