Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jamesmaccer

Resolving IE7 problem.

jamesmaccer    6
jamesmaccer

Hi, 

Pagelines DMS sites look really bad in IE7 and i have a suggestion for resolving this.

Quite a few HTML 5 sites just display a single page for IE7 users,  saying the site does not work on their browser.

Case in point - http://www.digitalhands.net/ , 

Is there an easy way of doing this, or is this an option which could be built into your next update?

For the site i'm currently working on, I frankly don't care that Ie7 doesn't work - It's my wedding site & most of my mates aren't technologically backward. 

However, I'm planning a sister site for my business (www.fmp-ir.co.uk) . I would rather visitors just got a 'go away & come back with a better browser' message, rather than viewing an awful version of my site!

Any thoughts?

Cheers

James 

Simon    247
Simon

There are a ton of IE warning type plugins available on wordpress.org, id suggest trying a few of them before going for a custom solution.

Jake    74
Jake

Hi jamesmaccer - DMS is built to support IE 8+ but what you could do is include a little browser specific code to nudge IE7 users to an update! http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/browser-specific-css or there are also quite a few plugins out there that would help.

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

jamesmaccer    6
jamesmaccer

Thanks allot for that. Would that code only appear to IE7 users?

Rob    547
Rob

Browser Specific CSS picks up the browser it's viewed on, and displays only on that browser.  It's what makes websites appear one way on a typical computer browser versus a mobile browser.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur