Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

suerama

Site reverts to older version

suerama

I'm a Pagelines Developer customer working on my first DMS site. Things seem to be going okay when all of a sudden the site reverts to a previous version, many, many steps back. My newly acquired Better Iboxes have disappeared completely, and way old text appears.   I'm working on Chrome, and when I check the site out in Safari, the reversion remains. Then some minutes later the revised, newer version reappears. This has happened a few times. Baffling.

Can you shed any light on this problem?

Danny

HI,

Can you enable PL debug mode DMS Toolbar > Global Options > Advanced and also provide a link to your site please.

Please search our forums, before posting!

suerama

Here's the site.

I've found the general issue, but don't understand it completely. The landing page is not my homepage, but seems to be my blog page since a blog page is what is set in Settings as the landing page.  I do recall deleting a default post-loop section . . .   However, when I look in my Dashboard there doesn't seem to be such a blog page listed under my Pages.

On the Menu page, under "View All" there is a mysterious extra page that is listed among the others called Home:Home.  When I put that in the menu, it says it is Custom, not Page (whatever that means). And it does not appear in my nav.

So what is the landing page?  Can I make that my homepage and get it in the menu? If I do, will I no longer have access to a blog page?

Jake

Hi suerama - I'm not totally sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish. But if you go to WordPress - Settings - Reading, you can select the page you'd like to be your homepage (landing page) as well as the page you'd like to be your blog page. Are those settings correct?

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

suerama

Here is the issue:

Somehow, without realizing what I was doing, I edited what appears to be a DMS default blog page, taking that to be my Home page. This page, which I like,  is now my landing page. I figure that this was/is my blog page because in the dashboard Settings the page chosen for "Front page displays" is "Your latest posts".

I want this landing page to be my Home page. But I cannot find this page among the list of Pages in the dashboard to put it in the menu as Home. This landing page does not exist in the Menu, even though I've set the menu to: Automatically add new top-level pages to this menu. Nor is this page listed as a post. 

I figure I could simply rebuild another page as my landing page, but what would happen to this current landing page, which apparently is a default blog page?  I'm concerned that since this was the blog page, initially,  that I won't be able to reconfigure another page as Blog. 

The big question is: Where and what IS this landing page? Why isn't it listed either among my Pages or my Posts in my dashboard?

greenfly

If you set your 'landing page' or in other words, your 'Home page' to latest blog posts, you site will not create a page called 'latest blog posts' but present your visitors with a dynamically created page (on the fly) showing your latest blog posts. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

suerama

I understand that my blog page will not be called "latest blog posts". That is not my issue.

My issue is that working for the first time in DMS I somehow, inadvertently, created a page which is the current homepage of this site.  However, there is no such page listed among the Pages listed in the dashboard, nor is it listed among the Posts.  It is a blog page apparently. I know this because in the dashboard Settings the page chosen for "Front page displays" is "Your latest posts" and not some other page. So that means that my landing page is a blog page, is it not? To test this, I just put a post-loop section on the page and sure enough, the Hello World post is feeding into it.

To test this further, I just created a page called BLOG.  This is appearing in my nav. But, although it has a Content/postloop section. It is not acting like a postloop, but like a content section. Now, ordinarily, all you do to create a Blog page is name it Blog, isn't that right?

My question again is: Where and what IS this landing page?  Why isn't it listed either among my Pages or my Posts in my dashboard?

So far, I don't think any of the Moderators are understanding my issue at all. I would  give up on trying to understand this, and just rebuild and set a different landing page, however, if my client should ever decide to create a blog, I won't know how to do this on this site.  My concern is that there is a mysterious landing page which is currently acting like my blog page but I cannot find it anywhere in the dashboard. Further, this landing page is acting like the Blog page, but I cannot find a way to add it to my Navigation. Nor can I replace it with another Blog page called Blog.

Jake

suerama - My apologies that you feel we do not understand your question but I can assure you we do. What Martin described in his previous post is exactly what is going on. You are looking for a page that doesn't exist because you have instructed WordPress to dynamically present a collection of posts as your landing page. There is no mystery, per se, it's just the normal function within WordPress.

The reason the page you created and titled Blog is not acting as a blog page is because you have not set it to be the default blog page in Wordpress - Settings - Reading. If you went and did that AND also set it as the homepage you'll see the blog posts on your blog page and that will also be your landing page.

suerama

My apologies and thanks to everyone for your quick responses, patience and help!!!

I've built 13 sites in Pagelines Framework and somehow I've never encountered this kind of issue before, so I was quite confused.

Sue

Jake

Thanks for checking back with us and you're quite welcome, just glad we got it sorted out for you! Let us know if you have any other questions.

• Similar Content

• wpclincoln
      By wpclincoln
      Website URL: http://westminsterlincoln.org/wordpress/   I have (had) a pretty involved global header with a masthead, ubermenu, etc. I was trying to create a new template and deleted the items in the header section, updated my template, published... and now the header is gone from my entire site.   Is there a way to revert to my previous global settings?