Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jamesmaccer

Menu Keeps Dissapearing

jamesmaccer

Hi, 

Sorry, this is my third tech query in the space of a few days.

Website - www.thewoosgethitched.co.uk

Yesterday, I re-designed my header with the logo on the left & menu on the right. I did this by having a media box on the left & nav bar on the right. To allign the logo & menu, I wrote some custom CSS. I works really really well & looks great.

However the menu section sporadically disappears, particularly when I'm working on the website (doesn't happen if I just view it without being logged on). It's happened twice in 24hrs. 

I'm almost certain that this has nothing to do with my plugins as this happened when they were all disabled. 

However, i'm getting an error message in the google 'inspect' view. It says - Cannot set property 'w' of undefined .

Here is the CSS I wrote: 

.logo img {
max-height: 50px;
}
.navbar-inner {
padding-top: 30px;
}
.section-navbar {
font-family: "Open Sans", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-weight: 800;
}
.navbar {
-webkit-box-shadow: inset 0 1px 0 rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.1), 0 1px 3px rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.25);
-moz-box-shadow: inset 0 1px 0 rgba(255,255,255,.1), 0 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.25);
box-shadow: inset 0 1px 0 rgba(255,255,255,.1), 0 1px 3px rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.25);
color: rgba(255,255,255,0.7);
}
.section-highlight .highlight-head {
font-size: 31.8px;
margin: 0;
}

Any ideas?

Cheers

James

Jake

Hi James - No apologies necessary, that's what we're here for. That's definitely not the usual behavior but I don't see anything in your code that would cause you to experience a disappearing navbar. When you say disappears, is the entire section removed from the column you've created to the point where you need to drag it back? Or does the section remain but the text just isn't rendering?

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

jamesmaccer

Hi Mate, 

Many thanks for the reply. 

There is still a header 'section', but everything within it just disappears. So, I've used a media box for the image on the left & a nav bar app for the right. The actual media box & nav bar completely disappear. Does that make sense?

Cheers

James 

jamesmaccer

Oh, and when it disappears, it does this permanently. I have to reload the media box & nav bar when it does. 

Jake

Hi James - Thanks for clarifying a bit more. I can't recall if we've done this already, but I took a look at your debug info and a couple of things stood out as possible issues. The first one, is in regards to Magic Quotes (see http://d.pr/i/ufKP) - would it be possible for you to contact your host and ask them to disable that? It is known to cause problems and has actually been removed from more recent versions of PHP.  I'm also concerned about the Cloudflare caching. It's also known to cause a lot of problems and wonder if you've got your site in a sort of workaround mode that disables a lot of their stuff while you're developing. Lastly, I'm concerned about the revision control and wp-optimize plugins - I'm not familiar with them but much like caching, I wonder if its something you can keep disabled while we try to work through this.

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

greenfly

Hello James 

I am somewhat certain that making changes to your site whilst the caching on your server is active will cause the problems you are experiencing with disappearing site sections. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

jamesmaccer

Hi Martin,

I had a problem before & removed the caching. Pretty sure I've removed everything that does this!

Do you want to take a look?

Cheers

James 

greenfly

Hi James - has the caching been completely disabled from your site by Cloudflare?

Looks like your site is still being cached. I did a test on http://www.webpagetest.org/ and it still showed a number of assetts being cached. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

jamesmaccer

ahh ok - I will take a look. Many thanks!

Rob

Let us know how you're doing!

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur