Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dherries

Templates

dherries

I am sooo frustrated with the Templates.  I create a new page and format it the way I want it and save a new template and publish and the other pages are changed. I must be missing something because I cannot get this work.  

Rob

Are you creating a new template, with a unique name and description, or are you updating an existing template? I've tried it multiple times. If I save (update) the default template, it applies to all pages where the default template is used.

However, if I create a new template, saving it with a unique name and description, and save it with the option "Update Template With Current Configuration." it saves locally.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

dherries

This is just not working. I have a slider that I put on the home page and I save the template and publish. Then I change to the "What is your homes value" page in insert a media panel and an image and save it to it's own template and publish. Then the Home page has changed the heading to the panel from the What is your homes value page.  VERY FRUSTRATING.

Danny

Hi

You need to be aware that the Header Area and Footer Area are global template area.

This means that whatever you add to these areas, will be visible throughout your site. I am not able to recreate your issue.

Here is what I do:

I go to the page that I want to customize the layout for. I then begin to change the layout, adding and position sections where I like.

Once the layout has been completed, I then go to DMS Toolbar >Templates, save the template, naming it whatever you like, then I load it on that page. When you go to another page and want a different layout, you do the same as above.

If these changes are also adjusting your other templates, then you're adding all your sections to the Header area of your site.

Please search our forums, before posting!

dherries

Well, that makes all of the difference. Thanks. Your documentation is seriously lacking for the "Non-Code" user.

Danny
dherries

If you feel the documentation is lacking, can you provide feedback in what aspect and where the documentation is lacking. So I can improve it for new users.

You can provide feedback by creating an issue on our docs GitHub repo here - https://github.com/pagelines/Docs/issues

Please search our forums, before posting!

dherries

Your documentation is written for Geeks not the average user like me. I would not even know where to start.

Rob

I'm very sorry to read that you feel we've made our docs too geeky.  I edited them, to try and make them not be that way, so I'm afraid I've failed. If you have any feedback on any particular pages that need a less geeky explanation,  please, let us know, as Danny said.  You don't have to tell us what should be said, but just tell us what's wrong with the language on particular pages. 

I'll be happy to work with our docs team and de-geek it.

dherries

Perhaps I was too critical.

The Configure section is OK but probably could use more detail, such as comments like "The "Header" box is Global and not configurable by page"  Simple stuff like that drives people like me crazy. I have been trying to solve the template problem for a couple of weeks until I learned that simple fact.

Also some more in depth instructions regarding the Widgetizer, Text Box and Media Box would be helpful so that we can know when to use them and when not to use them. More complete overview and instructions for all of the  Sections would save users a lot of time in deciding what tools to use in certain situations.

Training videos would really help people that are more "visual" like me.

Thanks for all of your help. My site is finally coming together.

Rob

dherries

I didn't think you were being critical, but constructive, and your feedback is very welcome.

I'll discuss these issues with the Docs team.  I can't speak to the issue of videos.  The suggestion has been made many times before.

Wonderful news about your site. If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask!