Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

neverone99

WP Super Cache and Dropdown Issues

neverone99

We are using the pagelines theme in conjunction with WP Super Cache however an interesting problem has arised which is that the dropdown menu on our site quits working.  The dropdowns don't exist when the mouse is rolled over them.  I am hoping that someone has had this issue before with pagelines and wp super cache.  In order to get the dropdowns back I clear the cache in wp super cache.  Our website is cnbtn.com.

Edit-I just noticed something interesting.  Under the pagelines options under Global Settings, Header and Footer, Nav Classic & BrandNav Section - Drop Down Handling , the option "Enable Dropdown Navigation" was not checked.  I went ahead and checked it.  Interesting that without it being checked I still had dropdown nav.

greenfly

Hello Neverone99

When developing your site there is no need to have WP super cache installed and activated. You will need to disable caching completely when making changes to your site. The things you have described are exactly the things that will happen if you make changes to your site whilst caching is enabled. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

neverone99

This is a live site in production.  One minute the dropdown will be working and then the next minute the dropdown is no longer working and the cache has to be flushed.  This is with no changes to anything.

Edit-It has been in production since yesterday.

greenfly

If yo are making changes to a site then you will face problem after problem if you have caching enabled. You only really need caching if you have a very high traffic site ( that is not to say yours isn't) and should definitely not be used if you plan to make any changes whatsoever, 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

neverone99

Thanks Martin.  Without caching enabled the site isn't fast enough and sometimes even times out.  We average about 80,000 visits a month.  We turned on caching yesterday when after we rolled the site out it became unresponsive.  I believe I have figured out the issue.  I had the plugin set to flush the cache every 3600 seconds (garbage collection).  I have since set the garbage collection to disabled.  My theory is that when the static cached pages were created sometimes the dropdown menu code would get messed up.  After that the cache would have to be flushed and new copies would have to be recreated.  With the garbage collection set to disabled as long as my cached pages are good to go then I shouldn't have problems until we have to recreate the cache.

greenfly

There are other ways to increase the performance of your site aside to using caching.

Some of the tips here should help. http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/25369-the-quest-for-speed/