Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JawDesigns

Advice on using headings

JawDesigns

Hi to all,

For some of my headings I have used a 'Media Box' and uploaded a .png file for the heading which was created in Photoshop. I've only added a few of these but it's tempting to add more as I've created a certain style in Photoshop using font called 'AgencyFB'.

However, I am worried that these headings are not searchable because the text is an image (not an html element). Is it ok to use images for some headings of your site or should I use text created by DMS (html) and styled with CSS?

Also, what is the easiest way to add my 'AgencyFB' font into DMS as in some cases I could probably bypass Photoshop. Finally are there any doc's or tips on how to increase people/customers finding your site in various search engines?

Thanks, James

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

JawDesigns

Ok, I've simply dragged my 'AgencyFB' font into my '/public_html/wp-content/themes/dms/fonts' folder and used the css property 'font-family: agencyfb;' which seems to work ok but please let me know if this is not the correct way to add new fonts? I did look at the doc's but it seemed like a very complicated way of adding a font and I wasn't sure where the 'stylesheet.css' file is which comes with the @font-face kit?

Thanks!

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

greenfly

Hello Jawdesigns 

Using images is less favourable to using text for SEO purposes. 

'What is the easiest way to add my 'AgencyFB' font into DMS as in some cases I could probably bypass Photoshop.'

The DMS documentation outlines the methods to take in adding a custom font to DMS sites and steps to take when troubleshooting.  The document also helps with reference to the stylesheet.css  http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/adding-custom-fonts

Finally are there any doc's or tips on how to increase people/customers finding your site in various search engines?

The internet is awash with advice and steps to take when ensuring your site is hitting the correct audience. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is big business and there is a lot of information and advice on this available on the web. DMS doesn't handle this in a different way or require you to do anything different than you would on any other site. Quality, relevant content and accessibility (e.g. Meta tags and image descriptions that allow the partially sited to access your site using a screen reader)  are the things to remember. The more informative and original your site content is, the more successful you will be in search results. 

Some resources http://www.hobo-web.co.uk/seo-tutorial/

http://www.business2community.com/blogging/50-one-sentence-seo-tips-bloggers-0633691

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

Jake

I agree with Martin Davies - and to elaborate a bit more on your first question, images are less favorable for SEO unless they are optimized properly. See http://searchengineland.com/logo-optimization-a-local-seo-stealth-tactic-168899 for more resources.

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

JawDesigns

Thanks for jumping on this post so quickly!

The above resources will be very useful. I just read that your able to add ALT Text which is something I haven't yet looked into how to do in DMS either.

I've also managed to re-create the same font in DMS using CSS but unfortunately the font headings (set to a large 7em!) aren't re-sizing and therefore the text is positioned off screen on small mobile devices. This is one reason why I tried adding 'media boxes' (images as headings) as these scale perfectly on smaller screens.

Thanks again for the help on this and I'll take a detailed read of the resources you've both provided.

Cheers, James

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Rob

James,

I have one concern about something you stated earlier.   It seems you placed the AgencyFB font in wp-content/themes/dms/fonts.  Our docs, however, say "Using your favourite FTP client, create a folder in /wp-content/themes/[CHILD THEME]/ and name it fonts." 

If you didn't use a child theme, when you update DMS, it's likely your font may be overwritten.  I'd suggest installing a basic child theme, and reinstalling the font in a fonts folder within the child theme.  This will protect the font from upgrades.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

JawDesigns

Cheers for pointing this out Rob, I'll make sure I create a new folder for my fonts and thanks for your help once again!

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Rob

Anytime.  If you need help finding a child theme, let me know.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur