Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kulmetehan

Migrating Wordpres/DMS Website

kulmetehan

Hi Guys,

This might not be the right place to ask this question but your service is quite a lot better than others so thats why I'm seeking your help.

I want to migrate my WP-DMS website from highpowereurope.net to highpowereurope.com. Both domains are owned by me but or hosted differently, so different servers.

The website that's currently running on .com is my old website and is hosted at DirectAdmin. The website running on .net is my new website and is hosted by Dreamhost(Dreampress).

Could you please advise me what the best and easiest (foolproof) way is to to this?

Please let me know if you need any more information. Thanks!

kulmetehan

Could this idea be an option?

Here you see all files on my ftp server for .net

Schermafbeelding%202013-10-01%20om%2015.

If I would copy all of these files (except .old) to the (empty, al old files deleted) ftp server for .com would that do the trick? Or would that mess it all up? I'm afraid this isn't an option, it really sounds too easy to be true.

Jake

Hi kulmetehan - We don't really provide hosting support - but I definitely can point you in the right direction because the way you outlined is definitely too good to be true!

A couple of things - you want to remember it's not just the files that you see via FTP that need to be moved, it's the entire SQL database that's powering the site with data behind the scenes. Not to mention the WP config files that need to point to the right paths on the host, etc. So, all the being the case, I would advise you do a full back up of WordPress and the database.

There are a lot of backup plugins out there both free and pay versions - but otherwise I think a good backup involves two steps. First you want to run the default WordPress Tools - Export and download all of the database content. Next step would be to navigate to the DMS visual editor to Global Options - Import/Export and download everything there.

Alternatively, you can simply modify DNS settings on one host to point to the setup on another. You'd have to check on the settings for each company but an example of what I'm talking about is outlined here http://getflywheel.com/help/can-i-point-multiple-domains-at-my-website/.

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

jamieg270

That is too easy!!

Yes you can copy the files on the server to a new location under the .com domain but it would be connecting to database that doesn't exist at that location if you do not update the config.php file and migrate the database. I would not advise using the database on the .net server with the .com URL. The hosting provider may not allow it anyway. Which means you will have to migrate your database as well. You can change the Site URL and the Wordpress Address URL before your export the database, in the Wordpress control panel, however be aware that will break the site hosted on the .net URL. The only way to repair that would be to amend those entries in the database directly.

Migrating a site to a new URL is however relatively straightforward if you know what your doing.

You will need to copy over all the files in the Wordpress install onto the new server. You will also need to copy over the Database as well. There is often a method to export the database in your hosting control panel, otherwise you may need to use phpmyadmin.

The biggest issue is changing the URL in your database once you've migrated it ti the new server (in your case from from the highpowereurope.net to highpowereurope.com). You will need to update the Site Address and Wordpress Address in the database, you may also have a lot of references to the original URL dotted around in posts and in other places in your database (especially if its an established site with quite a bit of content).  Without doing this properly it can screw up some plugins (due to data serialisation, see the link below to the Wordpress Codex for more info on that), also your posts can have links and images which references the old URL in it.

I would advise looking at this page in the Wordpress Codex: http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

The section about moving a site when changing URLs is the bit you want. That section also has a link to a third party site interconnect/it that hosts a script for updating the URL in your database. 

That script is extremely useful, but also extremely dangerous, in that it can make sweeping changes to your database at the click of a button and gives direct access to your database. DO NOT in any circumstances leave that script on your server after use. If anyone stumbles upon it they will have direct access to your database, you have been warned!! Always remove it after use, and read the instructions carefully on the site its hosted on.

There is the fifteen step method also listed on that Wordpress codex page, however I've not used that method and can't vouch for how effective it is.

I've used the script on the interconnect/it site to update databases on several sites I've moved, it works fine but you really need to know what you are doing, it is very easy to completely screw up your site.

If you are at all uncertain or not sure about the process I would advise you to get the help of your hosting company.

If you do decide to do it yourself, again may I remind you to make at least two backups of the site and your database in two separate locations. That sounds paranoid however I've had the situation where I lost a lot of data due to not making two backups!! That way you can practice with a copy of the data/site until you have the process right.

Hope that helps.

Jake

Hi kulmetehan - I looked through your other thread and it looks like you are doing OK now! Let me know if that's not the case. It's a tough move for the first time but once we all make all our first mistakes you usually don't make them again!

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

kulmetehan

Hi Jake,

I'm doing okay for now, thanks for the support.

I'm almost done with the migration I was working on. All thats left now is wait for the providers to finish the transfer of domains and after that I should be all set to carry on. Thanks again for all the support.