Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmad

Building New Pages

jmad

When building new pages, I've been going into the WP dashboard and adding a page with title but not adding any content to the page, this gets the page to show in the menu.  Several pages of the site are sectioned DMS areas with no content added to the WP page.  Is it important for SEO reasons to have text on the WP page even though it won't be showing on the actual page?

Also, do DMS and Yoast SEO play nice together?

Rob

Hi,

Search engines will look at the content of any WP page primarily, not the sidebars, header or footer, which are seen, but secondarily. 

Yes, WordPress SEO has had some reported issues, though some have it working successfully.  That leads me to think it just has conflicts with other plugins that may be present, or server settings.  You can check the compatibility list here: http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/28827-dms-plugin-compatibility-check-list/

I've found that DMS has its own special SEO capabilities and doesn't really need supplemental SEO, if you follow normal optimization guidelines.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jmad

Is there a best practices for SEO and DMS then?  How to establish page titles and descriptions for example?

Danny

If you want to add Page titles, this is usually done automatically, when you name the page in Wordpress Admin Dashboard > Pages. If you want to add descriptions etc.., then I recommend you install Wordpress SEO, as it does all the hard work for you.

http://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-seo/

Please search our forums, before posting!

Danny

No problem.

jmad

I'm getting ready to tackle the SEO part of my first DMS site and don't think I'm really clear on the DMS aspect of a page and how it integrates with a WP page regarding SEO.  

In order to build a Page with DMS you first have to create a page in WP Dashboard.  I do that but then just put the title of the page and not any content.  The content comes in the form of DMS sections.  Will search engines scan all the content in DMS sections?  Also, technically there would be a blank WP Page say for About but if you search for 'about' in the blog then that Page is going to show with only a title but no page content.  

So should content be placed on the WP dashboard page even though it won't be viewable unless searched?  Am I making sense?

As far as titles and such go, WP gives the page a very basic name but doesn't include in real descriptions so Yoast is necessary...in my opinion.

Danny

By no means an SEO expert, but I did what you suggested a few months ago and added content in both the Wordpress page editor and then added the same content to a section on my a site I worked and although I got ticks from Wordpress SEO plugin, it made no difference to my sites ranking adding the content twice.

So far as I know, the content added to sections can be read, but I will not confirmation on that for you.

jmad

So I'm still working on SEO and wonder if search engines will crawl this text as it's not in a <p>?  Would you or someone with Pagelines know?

/div>   <div class="ibox-text bd">   <h4 data-sync="ibox_array_item3_title">Listeners</h4>   <div class="ibox-desc">   <div data-sync="ibox_array_item3_text">The creative process for your brand and website begins with you. We listen to your goals, vision and mission. Then we work to design an online strategy that works for you. We don't try to sell you a product you don't need.</div>    

Simon

a p tag is only html markup for a paragraph.

The p tag has been around since 1995, so pretty sure your seo bots will recognise it.

jmad

Simon - so even though there is no true p tag in the example I provided you think it will still be crawled?  Yoast SEO doesn't pick it up as part of the WP page.

Simon

This has come up at least 10 times in these forums ;)

Yoast SEO only scans the post content and post excerpt, thats the bits you fill in in the WordPress post/page editor.

However, google and the other crawlers see your page as a simple text file, like when you click view source in the browser.

If your using google, there is a tool in the webmasters tools area to view the page as the bot sees it, you will see all your text there.