Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

studioc5

Whats the process to have completely different headers in two templates

studioc5

Im trying to have a different looking header on the home page than on inner pages, the components in the headers will be different.   Im having problems with the edits I make while saving one template overwriting the header configuraiton of the other temlpate.

If its possible to have two different headers, what is the processes step by step to keep them separate from eachother?

Jake

Hi studioc5 - I think in order to accomplish this your best bet would be to create two templates, both without any information at all in the header section itself. Instead, drag the "header" sections underneath, in the template area instead so you avoid the global header defaults. Then apply the homepage version to the homepage and make the other version the default for the rest of the site.

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

studioc5

If you put sections and components inside the template area, it only saves as local, not global, therefore you loose all your settings on every new page.  It will save the layout, but lets say I used an image box for the logo,  the image box will be there on all new pages but it wont have the logo in it.   Its a huge issue with DMS not saving things in the template area.

Jake

studioc5 - You bring up an excellent point and my apologies for overlooking that. I know these types of template saving/applying tweaks are already in front of the developers but don't have an ETA on when those updates will be released.

That being the case - how about this approach instead. Put your default template together with everything in the header section with global settings as you normally would. Then, put together a "header" section in the template area just for your homepage and remove the default header via css just for that page as follows:

.page-id-xx header {display: none;}

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com