Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Johnny Z

PinPost splitting lines mid-word

Johnny Z    0
Johnny Z

When using pinpost, the title and excerpt are split mid-word.  http://www.ctrguns.com/gun-news/

Viewing in Google Chrome it looks fine.  However, the problem is when viewing in Internet Explorer or Firefox.

I can't seem to figure out how to fix the problem.  I tried changing typography settings, but it did not fix problem.

Perhaps there might be some styling class code that could solve the problem?

Danny    1,327
Danny

Hi,

What version of IE and FF ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

Johnny Z    0
Johnny Z

OS is Windows 7

Chrome ver 29.0.1547.76

IE ver 10

FF ver 24.0

Rob    547
Rob

Word-splitting was designed into PostPins because of a problem it experienced in its early life with word wrapping. Originally, it took a word that didn't fit and moved it to the next line, leaving large empty gaps.  The hyphenation of the words allows the text to remain a block and look justified.   The only other way of doing that was to force a resize of text which would have rendered the text block unreadable if there were a long word.

Surprisingly, this can be adjusted by using PostPin's settings for padding or spacing between columns. However, what you see on your screen will be very different than what's seen on someone else's.  I recommend minimizing the spacing anyway, but not eliminating it, lest the pins overlap.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Johnny Z    0
Johnny Z

So how come it works fine in Google Chrome, but it doesn't work in other browsers?

Firefox:

[attachment=1582:firefox.JPG]

Chrome:

[attachment=1583:chrome.JPG]

Rob    547
Rob

Hi, the reason it varies from browser to browser is simple.  Each handles CSS differently.  A font can, for example, be a little larger in one browser, causing the pixel width to cause wrapping.  Padding too, can be affected by browser rendering.  The width of a pixel can vary from browser to browser, from monitor to monitor.... so what you're seeing is perfectly normal.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Johnny Z    0
Johnny Z

I tried various fonts AND sizes, all with the same result.  So then why not just wrap the word instead of the letter?

greenfly    230
greenfly

Hello Johnny

I will pass on your suggestion to the developers. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

• Similar Content

• hugheskh
      By hugheskh
      HI, I have just joined pagelines family for not more than 24 hours,

I would like to ask can i customize the excerpt that is shown on pinpost?
      i want to use some designated text like the classic post excerpt, I would also like to change the metas shown like the date, the category, or the number of words that can be viewed.

but it seems it doesn't support this, am i correct?
      how can i customize it, thank you~
    • leowu
      By leowu
      I am trying to use PinPost section on a blog with mostly images. Many posts don't have any content so the excerpt for PinPost boxes shows [...], which is very ugly. How do I prevent the plugin from displaying [...] or any excerpt?

I tried to edit the following code, but the titles and dates and categories disappeared too.

$content = sprintf(                 '%s<h4 class="headline pin-title"><a href="%s">%s</a></h4><div class="pin-excerpt summary">%s %s</div>%s',                 $meta_top,                 get_permalink( $p->ID ),                 $p->post_title,                 custom_trim_excerpt($p->post_content, 25),                 pledit($p->ID),                 $meta_bottom             );  
      Thanks in advance.

p.s. If it is not too much trouble, can anyone please let me know to disable showing category, date or comment link?