Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

allnaturaldesign

Vanishing CSS, Text and Media Boxes

allnaturaldesign

Hello, I have installed over a dozen DMS Sites, but only one site in particular is having major issues. Occasionally when I hit save, refresh or publish things disappear. At first it was just my components in my header and footer, but just today my entire custom CSS vanished when I hit publish. As well as my most recent media insertions! I reinserted my CSS and it happened again when I hit publish! Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

http://www.harvestwayacademy.com

- Ali

Jake

Hi allnaturaldesign - I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing these issues, it's definitely not common behavior, as you pointed out. I have a couple of thoughts/questions for you to investigate...do you have the visual editor open multiple times in different windows? Are there any cache plugins running? Do you have any other plugins or scripts different than you have in other sites that may be causing a conflict?

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

allnaturaldesign

Hi Jake - 

1. I have only one visual editor open at a time when working on the site, I am also the only user so no one else it working on it either.

2. No cache plug-ins running.

3. I also disabled all my plug-ins to see if there was a conflict but to no avail.

Any other suggestions?

Jake

Let's take a look at your debug then. To enable the Pagelines Debug mode, click on the global icon in the DMS control panel and select the advanced tab from the menu. In the debug panel, select the checkbox and then republish your page so the changes take effect. Let us know when you've got that on.

allnaturaldesign

Jake - Ok, I've got the debug on, shall I post it here?

Rob

Yes, please.  Thanks Ali.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

allnaturaldesign
WordPress Version : 3.6.1
Multisite Enabled : No
Current Role : Administrator
Framework Path : /home3/harvest6/public_html/harvestwayacademy/wp-content/themes/dms
Framework URI : http://www.harvestwayacademy.com/wp-content/themes/dms
Framework Version : 1.0.3
Framework Build : 1.0.3
PHP Version : 5.2
PHP Magic Quotes gpc : Yes (bad)
PHP memory : 256
Mysql version : 5.5.33-log
PHP type : Cgi-fcgi
PHP User : (I removed this)
Licence OK : (I removed this)
Plugins : 2
crazyegg-heatmap-tracking/crazyegg-heatmap-tracking.php
wordpress-seo/wp-seo.php

Rob

You have two plugins activated.  Either of those could cause problems.  The heatmap plugin is only compatible to WP 3.5.2, and we're on 3.6.1

WordPress SEO is also outdated and known to cause conflicts.

You also have PHP 5.2 running, when the specifications call for 5.2.4 minimally. Check http://docs.pagelines.com/getting-started/system-requirements.

Deactivate both plugins.  Contact your host about updating to PHP 5.3, minimally.

I hope this helps.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

allnaturaldesign

Hello - I have upgraded the server to PHP 5.2.4, disabled all plug-ins except DMS Pro Tools and am still having major issues. 

And now I have tried to re-enable debug to no avail. My page has gotten worse and its an active site we are making sales on.  I am very sad.

I moved the broken page here:

http://www.harvestwayacademy.com/landscape-business-training/

Jake

Hi allnaturaldesign - I'm sorry you're still experiencing issues and understand your frustration. So let's regroup here - I just took a look at the site again and can't tell what is out of the ordinary with it. Can you help us pinpoint the areas that are disappearing or not appearing correctly?

allnaturaldesign

Hi Jake - There are many text and media boxes that have reverted back to the original state (i.e "TextBox » Add Content!") Also my CSS vanished from the Styling Class box in many sections. 

http://www.harvestwayacademy.com

Here are my current Issues:

1. Everything I had worked so hard to create keeps disappearing.

2. Since I updated the PHP to 5.2.4 I can no longer save or make updates to my Landing Page Template.  If I try and enter in new text nothing happens upon refresh or publish. Even if I do it 5 times in a row. My components areas are stuck!

3. I cannot enable debug, again I tried multiple times. Logging in and out, restarting browser etc.

Jake

Got it. My apologies, before I responded before all looked ok but I guess I needed a refresh myself to see the missing pieces, I'm with you now.

OK - so tell me where you're entering your custom css? Are you using a base theme or the customize plugin or the Custom Code section in the DMS editor? My line of thinking for the next step of troubleshooting is possibly to move it all to a different spot and see if that changes anything.

allnaturaldesign

I am entering the custom css in the "</> custom code" area on the front end, in the "Custom LESS/CSS" Box. That is where is either completely or just partial disappears from. But not everytime I save, it's completely random. The CSS style name also can disappear from my text box.

I am using the base theme.

I have temporarily moved my template here: http://www.harvestwayacademy.com/grow/ so I can have a basic landing page as my home just from with WP editor. 

Please let me know what the next step is.

James B

Hi there, I would advise upgrading to DMS 1.04 as the 0.3 release did have some issues which clients experiecied. A fix was pushed shortly after it's release, you can get this from www.pagelines.com/my-account.

Also I'd advise upgrading to php 5.3 or 5.4 if possible.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

allnaturaldesign

Hi James B - Thank you for your response. I upgraded to 1.04 as soon as it became available and am currently running php 5.4 (I mentioned 5.2.4 before, but actually upgraded to 5.4) 

Now that I know I have been running the latest versions yet still having the same issues I am not sure what to do next. I will run more tests on non-active pages to see what occurs and let you guys know. 

Danny

Hi Ali,

Are all your websites from the same host ?

Is it only this website that is having this issue ?

Can you re-enable PL Debug mode please, so I can view the info for myself.

Also, I ran a few tests on your website and found that the site you're having an issue on is located on a server that has over 900 other websites all using the same resources.

http://d.pr/i/SSrL

Therefore, we can safely say that you're using Shared Hosting and that your issue is most likely a server configuration issue. Shared Hosting is cheap web hosting and is very poor, the reason as to why it is cheap is because web host providers, overload their servers with as you can see from my image above, hundreds upon hundreds of websites. I would recommend contacting your host and asking them to either:

1. Relocate your domain to a less populated server

2. Change your plan/package with your host to something other than shared hosting.

3. Move to a respected Host such as Flywheel - http://getflywheel.com/

Please search our forums, before posting!

allnaturaldesign
Most of my websites are on JustHost, but not on the same account/server as I have each client pay for their own hosting services. However, this is the only site having issues.  WordPress Version : 3.6.1
Multisite Enabled : No
Current Role : Administrator
Framework Path : /home3/harvest6/public_html/harvestwayacademy/wp-content/themes/dms
Framework URI : http://www.harvestwayacademy.com/wp-content/themes/dms
Framework Version : 1.0.4
Framework Build : 1.0.4
PHP Version : 5.4
PHP memory : 256
Mysql version : 5.5.34-log
PHP type : Cgi-fcgi
Licence OK : (removed)
Plugins : 1
dms-plugin-pro/dms-plugin-pro.php

Danny

So are you still encountering the issue ?

Can you please keep Pl Debug mode active, so I can see the information myself.

Please search our forums, before posting!