Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jasonganza

Custom Post Templates

jasonganza

Hi

I have created my site with several page templates, each with its own Special Recent Posts plugin, so I can assign the posts I want listed on each of those pages.

I have created dozens of posts across the site.

When I click on those posts listed in my Special Recent Posts, I want each one to display in its own template, in whichever template I choose to assign to each post.

The objective simply being that my posts are displayed just like pages, one page for each post.

I haven't figured out how to do that yet and have probably missed something obvious.

Can you please advise? I am almost there.

Thank you

Jason

Danny

Hi Jason,

All posts you created have their own page so to speak, which you can view by clicking on the post. Posts aren't pages and pages aren't posts. If you want more information on posts/pages, I recommend you view the Wordpress codex.

http://en.support.wordpress.com/post-vs-page/

Please search our forums, before posting!

jasonganza

How do I select which template each post is displayed on? Do I need to create and save a template for every post or is there another way? Thanks again

Danny

Individual posts can not have different templates, there is a suggestion on our issues tracker, where a user has made a similar suggestion. What are you actually trying to do ?

jasonganza

My site has 4 kinds of product. Each product has its own sub-products.

I have setup a page for each of the 4 products, each with its own template.

On each of those 4 pages I have listed all their sub-products. I have done by creating a post for each sub-product and listing them with Special Recent Posts.

When I click on a post listed in Special Recent Posts, I want the post to open in its own page, with a template assigned.

It sounds like I need to create a separate Page instead of Post for each sub-product, and save each Page as a template. 

Is that correct? If so it will take some time but is doable.

I hope that makes sense?

Danny

If thats the case why are you not using Pages for everything instead of using posts?

Also you could look into using custom post types - http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Types

jasonganza

Thought so. I recall using the post format for a similar purpose on a site i was using years ago so just took that direction. I'll probably change them all to pages. Thanks Danny

Danny

No problem.

seventhsite

I would also like posts to have the ability to have templates... The reason? 

Because plugins like "post-pins" will not display pages... I want to show all my pages in post pins or a similar plugin, 

also hoping post pins will be able to add a category filter, but again... I want pages to show up, because I need

to have different templates for different types of posts. 

For example, I will have team bios on team posts, and company news on news posts... they need to have 

different information arranged in a different way, but I want them both to show up in post-pins... 

The last thing I want is to force my client to make a post and a page for each listing and make the post re-direct

to the page... what a pain... 

What I really want is pages and posts to all have the features of the other. why do they have to be separate at

all? So many times I need post functionality in a page and page functionality in a post. The limitations of each

make very little sense to me. 

Thanks for listening to my rant, if you have any ideas of the best way to proceed, that would be great. 

James B

Hi there, this has been made as an enhancement request previously, so the developer team are aware of the need to editor posts/categories on to different templates. I think it's more of a technical issues as to how to find a way to do it effectively etc. Hopefully this will appear as a future update to DMS.

Postpins was designed to only take posts, but make a good point. Add this as an enhancement request to the tracker at https://github.com/pagelines/DMS/issues so the developer team can review for you.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B