Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

psiencesociety

Font Issue

psiencesociety

In various sections there is a field for text.

For example in the Quick Slider you can enter some text which will appear in limited locations (not pleased with that, need options for every angle, i.e. Center top, middle and bottom)

Problem being this image is big and the text is teeny-tiny. There is no option for Font, font color, font size, bold, Italic, underline, ect...Also, you cannot turn that txt into a link?

Is there a way to do this in code that someone can clue me into?

Why are these things so shell like? Why would this be an option in page lines and framework but excluded in DMS? 

Thanks for all and any assist....

Jake

Hi psiencesociety - You can isolate and style the quick slider and other elements via CSS. See http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/28478-customizing-quick-slider/?hl=quick+slider for more information.

To get you started, the code you'll want to add to increase the size of the slider text is:

.flex-caption (font-size: xxpx;} (the default size is 15px)

You can link each of your individual slides by entering the URL in the Slide Link URL box shown here http://d.pr/i/kmxK.

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

psiencesociety

Thanks Jake

So within the "Slide Text" box I have my text:

This is test text

do I enter you code like such within that box:

.flex-caption (font-size: xxpx;}This is test text

and just replace xx with a number greater than 15 for larger txt?

P.S. What I loved about Platform is that I could build a professional looking site and coding was not needed. Possible for that little or big extra, but otherwise us non-coders could use it. Where I cannot do something as simple as alter my text without coding, Is DMS geared/designed mainly for coders?

Jake

Hi psiencesociety - You want to the text within the slide text box as you had it and custom code goes in the visual editor - Custom Code section as pictured here http://d.pr/i/CT90. (please note the syntax is .flex-caption {font-size: 50px;} - I had a typo in the first piece of code I gave you, my apologies). And you are correct, the xx I referred to before would be replaced by a number to correspond with the font size, I entered 50px in this example. Check out our user docs for more information on overriding default CSS at http://docs.pagelines.com/customize/overriding-default-css.

I'm sorry you're finding a bit of a learning curve with DMS but can assure you the possibilities are endless with just a little bit of research and some trial and error. Even with Framework, a little bit of custom code was necessary here and there to achieve a fully customized look and we are more than happy to help you here on the forum so keep the questions coming.

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

psiencesociety

Thank you again Jake for both clarity and linking the doc, I will certainly look that over. 

Although I agree that some coding was a possibility for Platform/Pageline, I trolled the boards here and there when I wanted something customized as I again cannot code. But I hope that in the future DMS will correct the base for simple things like altering the font and placement (i.e. exactly as it was in Platform/Page-line - I guess I see it as these things should have been ported over from old to new and then improved upon rather than stripped and left to coding which for someone like myself is a heavy challenge.)

I also say this constructively....When I first bought Platform Pro and designed my website, I loved it!! It was nice and easy to use, it was intuitive and yet powerful enough to offer a wide range of options to make the site look professionally done. DMS I can see has some heavy potential. but out of the box the paid version seems very heavy on the no option side unless you 1) pay even more money for flashier sections 2) know how to code. 

Admittedly I find this very disappointing, but I do look forward to seeing how it evolves. 

Rob

@psiencesociety  While there are 'flashier sections' in our store, they are there for your convenience, and because they're all tested with DMS.  You're completely free to use no-cost plugins on your own.  We're not stopping you in any way from doing that.  The only issue you'll have to face is the inconvenience of testing, and of course customizing them to work as you desire.  The price one pays for those flashier ones we offer is that they're usually pretty much ready to roll, speeding up the site-building process and at the same time, saving you from coding.  It's a balance you have to find, but we're only providing you the choice, not a fait accompli.  I assure you that you have many, many options.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur