Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

illinimatt81

Display section on certain blog posts only

illinimatt81

Hi there,

I'm wondering if there is a way to display a full width section only on certain blog post pages - say if they contain a given category. If not, is there a way to manually add a section to a blog post page and not have it appear globally on all blog post pages?

It seems anything I do on a blog post page, category page or blog listing page applies globally to all pages of that type.

I would like to have a different call to action appear on certain blog post pages. Any way to accomplish this with local or global scoping or some custom CSS?

--

Along the same lines, is it possible to have custom sidebar elements for an individual blog post page? I have a podcast and I'd like the 'Donate' button only appear on pages that are podcast episodes. I don't mind either making a template for this or filtering on category. Is it possible?

Jake

Hi illinimatt81 - I think you'll be able to accomplish this a lot of this using the Custom Sidebars plugin (http://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-sidebars/). Out of the box it allows you to configure custom sidebars for individual blog posts, categories, etc. You could use this in conjunction with the Widgetizer in DMS to create additional widgetized areas beyond the sidebar.

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

illinimatt81

Hi illinimatt81 - I think you'll be able to accomplish this a lot of this using the Custom Sidebars plugin (http://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-sidebars/). Out of the box it allows you to configure custom sidebars for individual blog posts, categories, etc. You could use this in conjunction with the Widgetizer in DMS to create additional widgetized areas beyond the sidebar.

Jake I actually have that installed, I'll look further into it and report back.

Rob

Please do. Try this http://etc.bz/R6Rn  from one of our developers etcio.  It's supposed to be a full-width section to which you can add content.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

illinimatt81

Hi Rob I'll try that section. I have not had luck with the custom sidebars as it seems the plugin doesn't allow you to say where to display the sidebars. There are options within the custom sidebars plugin, but no way to actually set the rules. 

illinimatt81

Hi Jake I have dug through all the options, but it does not seem you can actually define where the sidebars should appear. I see dropdowns where you should have the option, but no where to actually make the selections....anyone else having this issue? Seems others do through a Google search and that I might be missing something.

Rob

Matt, the purpose of Custom Sidebars is to create new sidebars.  Once you create them, populate them with some widgets. Then, in DMS, you add either Widgetizer (for vertical sidebars) or Columnizer (for horizontal sidebars).   Each allows you to select the saved sidebar you wish to display.

illinimatt81

Matt, the purpose of Custom Sidebars is to create new sidebars.  Once you create them, populate them with some widgets. Then, in DMS, you add either Widgetizer (for vertical sidebars) or Columnizer (for horizontal sidebars).   Each allows you to select the saved sidebar you wish to display.

Hi Rob

Yes, I have figured that part out and it works well in DMS. My issue is that I can't have certain sidebars appear on a given post page type - for example a category of post page is tagged with. I have to select sidebars at the level of all blog post pages, the blog post listing, category pages, etc.

For example, I'd love to have the main calls to action in the sidebar of a podcast episode blog post page with the category of 'podcast' and have links for my app and to donate to the show, but not have that show on other blog post types with other categories. It seems you should be able to do that with the custom sidebars plugin but I have not been able to get it to work as advertised.

illinimatt81

I don't think Custom Sidebars does that.  But, Widget Logic does, using WP's Conditional Tags. Do you have that one?  http://wordpress.org/plugins/widget-logic/

Hi Rob,

I haven't seen that one, I'll install it and see if it works!

Rob

It's a classic... like a '59 Chateau Lafite or a Strauss waltz!

butcher

Is it possible to use shortcodes or php in this fullBox ?

Danny

You can use Shortcodes, but not PHP.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Rob

Are you adding the shortcode in a text area within the full-width section?