Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DianeHolmes

How Do I Add An Image?

DianeHolmes    0
DianeHolmes

HI!  I'm checking out the free version of DMS.  I've read all the documentation and watched the video about getting started.   Even watched a couple other videos I found on YouTube.  There's a pretty big gap between average person (me, oh-so-average) and how to actually do *something*. ;)

QUESTION:  I want to add images to my site.  For example, a header image/banner.  So, at the top is the DMS navigation bar that was already there when I launched DMS via WP admin (based on pages I'd already set up).  Under that is a  Header section.  I want an image there. An actual header/banner image. Shouldn't be hard!  And I can tell DMS is supposed to be easy, but I'm missing a key piece of information, I think.  (But I'd also like to be able to add images anywhere on the site.) 

Is there an image module?  

Am I supposed to do a single column first?  

Do I have to do all images, even only a single image, through a slider?  I did try RevSlider.  I don't get it.  I have this nice 800 px wide image.  200 px high.  It blows up the image to HUGE, then takes the middle of it?  (Yes, my general settings are... Layout mode = Pixel Width and Layout Display = boxed.)

And while I'm at it, there seems to be 3 page templates.  But DMS came up (opened) with what looks like a page.  Is that based on any of these templates?  Hmmmmm.  Don't really get the page template thing.   But I assume you click a page on your site, then choose a template before doing any work.  Then save?  Does Publish save the page?  The site?

There's so much I'll love once I understand how DMS works.  Pretty sure.  Yeah.  Love is ahead.

Thanks for your help, dear peeps.  I appreciate it.

Danny    1,327
Danny

Hi Diane,

To add images such as a logo image, branding image etc.. you can use either the TextBox section or the MediaBox section. With the MediaBox section you can simply upload an image to that section, as well as use HTML code.

I wrote a guide here on how to create a Branding section, which has instructions on how to add a logo image, you can find this guide here - http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/creating-a-branding-area

Please search our forums, before posting!

DianeHolmes    0
DianeHolmes

Dear Danny,

Thank you!!  I had actually read your guide early on and thought, there must be another way. ;)  After all, DMS is about not coding. ;)  

I did try out your method, which does work. :)  

And I've played around with Pagelines.  At this point, it's just not to the state where non-coders can easily work with it.  I'm hitting so many oddities (Why does the HERO module offset and put the text where it goes, but  the picture where it belongs, but bumped way down?  How do you modify HERO picture size easily?  How can you change the HERO text size easily?  And that's just one module.)

But I wanted to thank you very much for your great support, and for writing documentation!  It's amazing how many cool software products have no documentation.  Fist bump, dude.  Pagelines if head and shoulders above the rest.

Best,

Diane

Rob    547
Rob

Diane, thanks for the nice comments!

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jodymilleryoung    0
jodymilleryoung

Diane, you sound like a tech genius compared to me! I just installed Pagelines and I can't figure any of this stuff out. Even the tutorials from youtube are all greek to me. I want to put a nice pic as a header under my logo. I still can't figure out how to get rid of the default Pagelines big picture at the top of the homepage screen. So I'm at square one. You've figured a whole lot out more than I've been able to. 

Danny, I have no clue what you're talking about in the tutorial link. Is there someplace I can find a step by step for dummies way to set up a website using the Pagelines free theme? Help! 

Thanks. :-) 

DianeHolmes    0
DianeHolmes

Jody,  LOL.  If Pagelines ever gets the automatic functionality that non-coders need (like check box: I want an image leader, I want image logo / I want text,only -  above navigation, below navigation), I'd even write the Dummies version!  Good luck to you. :)  -Diane

Jake    74
Jake

Hi jodymilleryoung - I'm sorry you're having trouble getting started but you've come to the right place! Are you looking for help with the site located at http://www.barkandswagger.com/? If so, I think part of the confusion is due to the fact that you're looking at DMS documentation instead of Framework (which is powering that site). Have a look at the docs and get started video at http://support.pagelines.me/docs/dashboard/getting-started/  and post any questions you've got in our Framework forum at http://forum.pagelines.com/30-pagelines-framework/. We'll do our best to point you in the right directions!

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

Aldo    0
Aldo

I am also trying to add a photo to a "MediaBox" in DMS, but my issue is that I would like more control over it by making it a gallery image so that it can be in large when the use put a pointer over it or clicks on it?

Thank you

• Similar Content

• Michael Kummer
      By Michael Kummer+
      Hi guys,
      I have noticed that all thumbnails on www.michaelkummer.com are scaled down in CSS or HTML, rather than on the backend by Jetpack's Photon. See https://db.tt/vNJCn7Gh and https://db.tt/3ZpkHM7G. 
      Any idea why Pins sets the image width and height to something much larger than what's shown on the screen? Is there any way to fix this so that Photon can do a better job in rescaling the images on the backend before they are delivered to the browser?
      Thanks
      Michael 
    • sfmstudios
      By sfmstudios+
      I'm using the boxes section on a local development site to play around with some options, and running into an issue.  
      Have the following settings for the boxes:
      Type: Images/SVC Media on Top Image Appearance: Standard/Default Image/Icon Width: 280px Image Opacity: 100% Each of my box images is 280x150 in size, but the result of the image on the box is a strange zoomed-in, cropped square (see attached).  I looked to adjust border properties via CSS, but couldn't find a fix.  What solutions are out there?

• richardjacruz
      By richardjacruz+
      I received our monthly Alexa report, and it pointed out that there were missing alt tags on EVERY page on our site. Upon closer inspection, it looks like the QuickSlider which is used for the scrolling banners at the top of the site doesn't bring in the alt tags. Recently, you made a change to the RevSlider to allow images to have "alt" tags. Can you do that for the QuickSlider too?
      Thanks.
    • jvheintze
      By jvheintze+
      I just tried to figure out how to use Lax in combination with Post Thumbnails the following way: instead of showing the Featured Image on top of the content section I would like to have a Lax section above the content which loads for each post the featured image. To do so it seems there should be some kind of word press hook support necessary (not ready yet)? Or did I miss something?
    • richardjacruz
      By richardjacruz+
      I'm sorry to be a bother. I tried looking this up through the forum and then via Google, but  couldn't find the answer. 
      I want to add "alt" text to the images found in the RevSlider and the QuickCarousel at www.stevensoncrane.com. I added alt text in the media section of WP, and I refresh the page and published, but I still don't see content in the "alt=" part of any image HTML. 
      Is there a way of doing this with these two sections?
      Thanks,
      Rich