Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

caspersjan

RTL - Good news and bad news

caspersjan

Dear Pageliners, I have been experimenting further with LTR/RTL pages and have struck upon a phenomenon that might be important for the core developers. The good news is, most things are working. I have installed WPML, the main multilingual plugin, and set up an English and Arabic version. There is a language switcher in the navbar and I can translate all pages. All sections I have tried so far take the Arabic text, and don't even seem to mess up punctuation. All good there, so far.

But there are no images - either in my untranslated English version which is cloned to the Arabic RTL page for translation purposes (Quickslider images, iBox images, all show up in the Editor as file names - not previews! - but otherwise disappear). Nor are there posts in the post loop (I use Filtering section which otherwise works great). The only place where there are both images and post loop posts is the Footer, which is the same sitewide on both English and Arabic page versions.

There is something else very strange, that might be connected: When I have the page set to Arabic, everything becomes RTL, even button content in the Editor and most worryingly the code in the Custom Code section. It looks very odd - CSS and HTML are of course always LTR. Maybe there is some error somewhere deeper that spreads RTL beyond content, and confuses the image files, too? I have attached a screenshot of the RTL'ed Editor (a wondrous sight to behold!), here is my site address: http://www.schuleverrueckt.de/wordpress or http://www.schuleverrueckt.de/wordpress/?lang=ar for the Arabic (language switcher in top right corner). I'll be happy to supply you with login details if that is any help.

Please do have a look at this. I was so happy when the text worked much better than I had feared and never expected images to play up. It all worked seamlessly in the old Framework - and I have no doubt your code people will set things right (-to-left) before long. Ancient scripts are counting on you!

Yours faithfully, Jan.

Danny

Hi,

DMS doesn't support RTL at this moment in time, if you're encountering issues, then its most likely because DMS doesn't support RTL. RTL support is on our developers to-do-list.

Please search our forums, before posting!

caspersjan

Dear Danny, thank you. I'll work around it by putting the RTL content on LTR pages - this works. And I look forward to seeing the developers' efforts come to fruition soon! Yours faithfully, Jan Caspers.

Danny

No problem, sorry I wasn't more helpful, but at this moment in time DMS isn't RTL ready. However, I will bring this issue to our developers attention again.

Please search our forums, before posting!

caspersjan

It's alright, Danny, candour is a virtue, too. I am already glad that I will be able to work around it until we are blessed with proper RTL support. Until then patience shall prevail - Rome wasn't built in a day either, but I thank you to keep reminding the developers. In an English language environment RTL is easily forgotten. Greetings, Jan.

• Similar Content

• caspersjan
      By caspersjan
      Dear Pagelines team, it is good to see DMS maturing from update to update - and you seem to be hard at work because the updates are coming in fast! Is there any hope of RTL support being sorted out soon? I am using the WPML, Wordpress Multilingual plugin, one of the main multilingual setups. There still seems to be a basic disagreement - in text boxes, headings etc. RTL works fine, but when I have an entire page set to an RTL language, the DMS Editor itself turns its English text - and buttons etc. - to LTR, rendering it practically unusable. Here is a screenshot to illustrate this. 

Or perhaps I am overlooking something or doing something wrong. I could not find any Forum threads on RTL solutions - if you have any, please let me know. I'd be very grateful. 

But most of all, I long for the days when DMS would be as seamlessly integrated with WPML as it used to be with Pagelines, when everything was nearly perfect and very efficient.

Thank you for your tireless work in the background! Yours faithfully, Jan.