Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

caspersjan

Plugin disabling editability for some pages only

caspersjan

Dear Pagelines team, the voyage of discovery through the new world of DMS has been one of joy and relevation for the most part. Occasionally I am perplexed by new ways, but  after initial infuriation more often than not they turn out to be better and easier. But now I have encountered a problem I can't solve, nor understand.

I used a plugin, Chronos, a Wordpress port of the TimelineJS javascript timeline plugin, back in the Framework days. There were no problems, and it worked beautifully. Now I am rebuilding my website in DMS. When I activated the Chronos plugin, put together a timeline and entered the resulting shortcode in a textbox on my page, it worked well initially, but as a harbinger of strange things to come I could not click the "edit section" button - it was there, but unclickable, for all sections on the page. I disabled all other plugins, but there was no change. I deactivated Chronos and flushed the Chrome cache. Now something weird happens: The two pages on which I applied (inside a Text Box) the timeline shortcode are completely uneditable - it is as if I were not logged into Wordpress at all. Just on two pages - I can still go back to Home or to other pages via the menu, where everything is as usual. 

This is the site: http://www.schuleverrueckt.de/wordpress/

This is one of the two affected pages: http://www.schuleverrueckt.de/wordpress/?page_id=266

I can send login details if it helps - I cannot go to the Global Options debug on the culprit pages because there is no Editor whatsoever. I will write to the plugin author, but as the site is affected even after the plugin is disabled I thought it would not be hasty or undue to post this here and seek advice, or even a pointer as to what I should tell the plugin author. May you have seen similar behaviour before.

Thank you for you patience and your help. Yours faithfully, Jan.

caspersjan

P.S.: Trying my best to get to the bottom of this myself I replicated the action, best as I could, in a localhost installation. Again - the plugin seems to work at first, but disables the editing functions. I hope this I am making some sense to you and that you can help! Yours faithfully, Jan.

Rob

I checked that plugin at CodeCanyon. It may present some conflicts because it uses jQuery and javascripts that may not match the versions DMS uses. That could be the problem.

My suggestion is to write to the developer, asking them to download DMS (the free version) and test their product out. They could find the solution for you quicker than we can.  I did this exact thing with another CodeCanyon developer and they put together a custom section for us.

Unfortunately, I can't diagnose or support a 3rd party product.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

caspersjan

Dear Rob, of course I know that you can't support 20,000 Wordpress plugins. I appreciate your advice all the more - it is exactly what I was looking for. Now I know what to say to the developer. Who knows, perhaps he'll even make a custom section... Thank you for looking into it and giving frank feedback. It is, as ever, much appreciated. Yours faithfully, Jan.

Rob

Jan, always a pleasure.

I'm sure that as a paying customer that developer will want to help.  Let him know we have about 55,000 (from the last number I've heard) customers for DMS  I'm sure you're not the only customer of his who might use both products.

caspersjan

Dear Rob, thanks. I passed all this on, with words of encouragement. It is a great feature and would fit well into the style-conscious world of DMS. Here is one of my draft uses of it (in the old Framework): http://www.manualanimation.com/wordpress/?page_id=16. I'm sure there would be other takers! With this, I'll let you go. Thanks again. Yours faithfully, Jan.

Rob

Jan, always happy to help.  That's an awesome looking site!  Very well done.

caspersjan

Dear Rob, it's just the beginning and still made with Framework. I am on a roll, with the help of you and your technical support colleagues and a band of friendly section developers suddenly everything is falling into place. In a few days, DMS has made me understand more about CSS than I ever did with Framework, because I can see the results instantly and thus know what works and what doesn't. And I can set my own classes, for most things! I am currently remaking this and a few other sites (of similar content). I think somewhere I saw a showcase or potluck function or forum strand - I'll be happy (and proud in the way I was when I had learned to swim or ride a bike!) to share it. And I won't forget to add an Oscar-style credit list to all those who are making all of this possible. Thank you for your kindness and keep up the good work. Yours faithfully, Jan.

P.S.: I'll let you know when I have heard from Mr Chronos, as I hope I will soon. Although I should really join Nick Haskins' Devcamp courses and port TimelineJS myself... I cannot but I'm sure it will come eventually.

Rob

Jan,

Thank you for your very kind words about DMS.  I'm very confident you'll be a DMS rockstar very quickly!

Here's the link you want http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/28492-show-us-your-live-dms-site/

Keep us posted about your progress with Chronos!

--Rob

caspersjan

Dear Rob, I'll not be a rockstar of course, just an earnest worker in the vineyard. I don't even have a backstage pass to view the Forum link you sent me (though I'm sure did see it in the past - I must have slipped past security somehow, but now the doorman is more vigilant). Maybe a site-sharing thread could be moved from corporate to creative commons, to showcase DMS of the people, by the people, for the people... Greetings, Jan.

greenfly

HellO Casperjan - if you can't get into the DMS Pro support forum - drop support an email with your details and they will sort this out for you. 

You can reach support on hello@pagelines.com 

:) 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"