Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hansonexperience

DMS too heavy for server memory

hansonexperience

I am still testing DMS if I want a paid version but now I have a real problem. It seems that DMS takes too much of server memory at Dreamhost. Every now and then I have fatal errors not being able to log in anymore. To solve this I have to rename the plugin directory.

I have just 4 plugins installed (wp supercache, flickr mini, tubepress and custom menus). In iblogpro I had installed 10 plugins more.

So why is DMS so memory intensive that processes are being killed by the server?

Rob

Our documentation for installation and server configuration clearly states your server must have a minimum of 40Mb memory allocated for PHP.

Keep in mind, DMS is an entire system, not a theme. Our system overlays Wordpress, which is also growing with each new release. The requirements for memory increase, in order to allow these systems, working together, to perform optimally.  While the minimum recommendation, officially is 40Mb,  personally, I have my server set to 64Mb.

See http://docs.pagelines.com/getting-started/system-requirements

Some of your plugins can also use considerable memory, such as flickr mini and tubepress.  Supercache has proven itself, time and again to cause issues.  I'd recommend clearing the cache completely, and deactivating it.

In DMS, there's a debug function in Global Options. I suggest activating, getting the report and posting it here.  Thanks for your kind patience.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

hansonexperience

Rob Why deactivate wp-supercache? So no cache plugin? 

Here is the debug info:

WordPress Version : 3.6

Multisite Enabled : No Current

Role : Administrator

Framework Path : /home/hansmestrum/hansonexperience.com/blog/wp-content/themes/dms

Framework URI : http://www.hansonexperience.com/blog/wp-content/themes/dms

Framework Version : 1.0.3

Framework Build : 1.0.3

PHP Version : 5.2

PHP memory : 256

Mysql version : 5.1.53-log

PHP type : Cgi-fcgi

PHP User : Hansmestrum

akismet/akismet.php
custom-sidebars/customsidebars.php
flickr-mini-gallery/flickr_mini_gallery.php
tubepress/tubepress.php

Rob

Supercache is a compatibility issue. Probably only temporary, but one they need to fix.

There are other cache plugins, with and without CDN. There are plenty of recommendations in the docs.

hansonexperience

Rob were can I found that in the docs? And what about the debug info posted?

Rob

I'm sending the debug info to the developers.  Since the docs were published, some have experienced issues with that cache plugin. I have nothing against it.

hansonexperience

Rob then the docs should be changed. Recommendations does not fit with compatibility issues. And were can I find the plenty recommendations for caching?

hansonexperience

Rob were can I find lazyloader as the link in the docs do not work? Is it a good option for faster loading?

Rob

If you're using DMS, you don't want LazyLoader.  Honestly, I don't think it works right now even in Framework (not sure about that, so don't quote me).  But it's definitely not one I've heard spoken about in terms of conversion to DMS.  Using it could well crash your site and I'd prefer not to be the one who told you to do that! :D

I hope you'll understand where I'm coming from.  I'm sure you've been all over our docs. I think using CDN might be your solution!

hansonexperience

Rob yeah I read the docs and these things are recommended (wp supercache and lazyloader). Too bad that actually they are not recommendations but the opposite. Why read the docs then? Better throw them away if one cannot be sure that what is in it is right.

Danny

Hi,

WP Super Cache is recommended as the cache plugin of choice. However, a lot of users seem to think these cache plugins have some kind of mystical power, where as soon as they install these plugins, they work out of the box. This is not the case, these plugins need to be configured and configured correctly. If they're not, then these plugins can have a negative effect on your sites performance.

If you pay for cheap hosting then a cache plugin won't help you, if you're having issues with your sites performance, the main cause will be cheap hosting. As a lot of users tend to purchase Shared hosting, which isn't an ideal environment for any website. Also, cache plugins should only be used on websites that receive a high volume of traffic, if your site doesn't then there isn't really a need for it in my opinion.

Also, if you do intend to use a cache plugin, then you will want to disable your cache plugin until your sites design has been completed. Cache plugins should be the last thing to install/activate.

@LazyLoader, I wasn't aware there was an issue with the LazyLoader. However, the PageLines lazyloader only effects images. I would recommend checking out this one instead - http://wordpress.org/plugins/bj-lazy-load/

In terms of DMS memory, you have old versions of MySQL and PHP. Also, even though you debug information says X MB, you could well have considerably less MB than stated. If your host has installed Suhosin for PHP, they can set your memory in the php.ini file, but then add something different in Suhosin. Here is why you will want to upgrade from PHP 5.2, the below information is what memory DMS requires, and why you should always use the latest stable version of both MySQL and PHP.

PHP version 5.5 - 14MB
PHP version 5.4 - 30.8M
PHP version 5.3 - 39.2M
PHP version 5.2 - 49M

As you can see DMS when used with PHP 5 only requires 14MB of allocated memory. Therefore, I recommend one of the following:

• Ask you web host to upgrade both MySQL and PHP
  • Move host to someone like FlyWheel.

The Docs are currently being reviewed and will be updated with new and better instructions.

Please search our forums, before posting!

hansonexperience

Danny great support!! Glad with your explanation. I will ask Dreamhost for upgrading. I know free version will get no support. But I am still testing things. And when these internal errors keep on I will not decide to move over to DMS but another themes which do not use so much resources.

Danny

The internal errors are most certainly related to your hosting environment, I'm not saying that DMS is bug free, as no software is. But the issues you're having sound like a hosting issues.

If I was you, I would most certainly check out FlyWheel. The performance of their hosting is quite exceptional.

hansonexperience

Danny I will check flywheel

Danny

I bet you think I am a FlyWheel sales rep lol, its just that I think you would be surprised at how good the performance is.

hansonexperience

Danny but they are in beta right now. I cannot get any info...

Danny

Email them and say you're a PL customers, it may get you added to the beta, but I can't promise anything.

hansonexperience

Danny"] @[member="Rob"] I installed php 5.4 on Dreamhost but problems of internal errors not solved. Seems I must have more performance on shared server? @[member="Danny I looked at flywheel but it is expensive as the price is per install

Danny

They're actually quite cheap, in comparison to the other hosts we recommend:

http://wpengine.com/pricing/

https://www.zippykid.com/pricing/

When it comes to web hosting you most definitely get what you pay for. If you feel that FlyWheel are expensive, then you most definitely are not on a good hosting package/plan in my opinion.

What internal errors are you encountering ?

hansonexperience
Danny every now And then I get 500 error. Slow leading times And error logs saus premature script stopped.
IT Seems that Sometimes is consuming a lot of memory And then process is killed.

You can try on http://www.hansonexperience.com
I Have istalled another theme which is Better but still I Have Some errors

Danny

If you're receiving 500 server errors, then its definitely related to your server, as is the slow loading times.

To demonstrate that this isn't DMS related, I have quickly added a test site on Flywheel running DMS (without plugins). You can access the site here - http://dms-test.flywheelsites.com/

When prompted enter the following:

Username - flywheel

Password - omfgwtfbbq

Also, installing another theme isn't actually an accurate test, DMS uses numerous features, scripts etc.. such as Bootstrap & Font Awesome implementation, LESS CSS and so forth.

hansonexperience
Danny ok but of dm's uses All those thing IT must be sloper Or is not IT. Could IT be that My database is too large? I Have 4500 blog entries And More then 4000 comments forum 2004 onwards on My blog.
I want a Stable platform/blog

Danny

No, like I have said numerous times, your hosting is the issue not Wordpress, not DMS, but your hosting. If you have that many posts, then I would recommend you install the Revision plugin to control your revisions, as this wont help.

You're issue is that you're paying for cheap hosting, cheap hosting is cheap for a reason, its crap, has poor performance and most of the features are lies. You do not have unlimited space or the ability to create unlimited databases etc..

I can guarantee you, that if you was using 500 gb on your website for images etc.. and created more than 100 databases, your web host would be emailing you.

If you want to have a stable, good performing website then you have to pay out, there is no other alternative. Flywheel, ZippyKid and WP Engine aren't cheap, because they're good. Not just in terms of support but performance. That DMS test site I linked, proves this.

I receive no errors, no performance issues, just a speedy website.

hansonexperience
Danny ok ok Thx For Your explanation. I can a do a test with My database aso moved over To flywheel they wrote me. I Will Think About that.
Your exempel is provincie a Fast website but just with 1 posting not a large weblog as I Have. Do that is not convincing me. IT could be The database.
I Will Go For a testrun on flywheel

• Similar Content

• Steve Webb
      By Steve Webb+
      I am having an issue with DMS editor not loading.  Just keeps spinning and spinning.
      Have tried several things - Logged in and out, cleared cache, deactivated all plugins, but the issue persists.
      I even had our host restore from a backup a few weeks ago, when I know it WAS working, as I edited a text box on the homepage.  The restore from backup didn't help either.
      Also, the front end of the site shows that the site is framed, or boxed now (whatever you call it), instead of full width as it was previously (last week).
      Dev console shows that there are php errors in Google maps - file is attached.
      Can someone please help?  Not sure what else I can do here...
      Thanks in advance.
      -Matt

• tuciudadenred
      By tuciudadenred+
      Hi everyone, what happens is that the web page metrosalarmas.com has a google tags which I have not attacked where I can look to remove those tags and be able to locate the correct ones.
    • Steve Webb
      By Steve Webb+
      I am having an issue with DMS editor not loading.  Just keeps spinning and spinning.
      Have tried several things - Logged in and out, cleared cache, deactivated all plugins, but the issue persists.
      I even had our host restore from a backup a week ago, when I know it WAS working, as I edited a text box on the homepage.  The restore from backup didn't help either.
      Also, the front end of the site shows that the site is framed, or boxed now (whatever you call it), instead of full width as it was previously (last week).
      Dev console shows that there are php errors in Google maps - file is attached.
      Can someone please help?  Not sure what else I can do here...
      Thanks in advance.
      -Matt

• JawDesigns
      By JawDesigns
      Hi everyone,
      Flywheel have reported errors on my clients site 'www.racewaredirect.co.uk' and it's not loading. Can someone please provide some information on how to fix this? The site has never experienced these issues before.
      Thanks,
      James Wilson
    • MissT
      By MissT+
      Hi there,
      I've got an issue with 3 websites built with DMS since I migrated them from http to https that I need help with please.
      When any changes are made - e.g. new posts added or existing posts amended - certain sections of the live site seem to break e.g. image headers hang and don't load (b/g on canvas section), sliders hang and don't load (Revslider), flipper section doesn't load.
      Logging in and then clicking 'Edit the site using DMS' seems to fix the problem. Often if I try to open up another browser window to edit the site / re publish I'm unable to as the page wont load / hangs while trying to load.
      Any ideas how to fix this? On a couple of the sites I've installed a caching plugin as I thought it might be a loading speed issue but it's still happening.
      Website URL's can be provided privately.
      Many thanks in advance.