Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JawDesigns

DMS Migration Questions

JawDesigns

Hi to all,

I installed DMS (Pro) yesterday and I am pretty impressed with the functionality. However, I am about to finish a clients website using the Pagelines Framework but I am now very tempted to migrate the project over to DMS having used the new functionality/tools available. Therefore I have a few questions and I would be grateful if someone could advise me on the following:

1) I have written a lot of CSS for my previous project in the Pagelines Customize plug-in. Are the classes and id's the same in DMS? I'm guessing there not (as the tools are different). Therefore am I going to have to remove a heap of CSS which isn't being used? I'm trying to keep things clean (if possible) so I just didn't want loads of code which isn't used. Currently all of my CSS is in a single file (plagelines customize plug-in).

2) Whats the best way to add CSS in DMS. Should I continue using the 'Customize plugin' or use the new 'Custom Code' tab in DMS? What do users/pagelines recommend?

3) What would happen if I left the project as it is using 'Pagelines Framework' theme? Would this be a good thing to do for my client or is it better for us to migrate now over to DMS? I wouldn't want us to encounter any problems further down the lines so it is important that we do the right thing now.

Thanks for any help,

Cheers,

James

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Rob

Hi James,

I have some good news for you.  Some two years ago, I built a site for a client in PlatformPro with over 2000 lines of CSS. In rebuilding it with DMS, I needed less than 100 lines of code because most of what I had to code previously is now done with settings.

To answer your queries...

1.  Classes, IDs and code vary from Framework, but we do have a v2 compatibility mode that helps with transition.   You're not 'replacing' Framework on your system, but adding DMS, so the database will continue to contain or your site will have the code you've already added to PageLines Customize's stylesheets.  You don't have to use that plugin for DMS. Thus you can switch back and forth between DMS and Framework.  You could, reasonably (and I think smartly), start with a clean slate with DMS, and create the site with the same look, feel and systems, but without the encumbrances of the former systems.

2.  My best recommendation is to add CSS to the Custom Code part of DMS, which writes it to the database.  More importantly, the use of the Custom Code tab in the DMS toolbar gives you immediate access to, and the ability to implement, test and modify your code in one place.

3.  James, my suggestion to answer question 3 is to copy your entire database and import it to a new one on a test site.  Implement DMS there, recreate your client's site and then port the whole thing back over to the original site. I hope this makes sense. If any problems do happen, or you come upon any stumbling blocks, at least you'll have no interference with the client's live site.  You can develop at your pace, independently, and not have to worry about breaking or messing up the live site.

Hope this helps!

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

JawDesigns

Thanks Rob,

That's really useful to know and I appreciate the help. Regarding your answer to question 3 are there any tutorials or documents that I can follow for copying the entire database and importing it into a new test site? This sounds like a very good option to me and I'm sure we'll also end up with a much better, cleaner site after having migrated fully over to DMS.

Thanks for the help with this!

Cheers, J

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Rob

James,  I'm going to give you the easiest tutorial possible:

1.  Create the new database and install WP and subsequently, DMS.  Activate DMS.

2.  Make sure the import file size is larger than 32Mb.  I have mine set to 128Mb. Your host can assist with this.

3.  Go to the original site.  On the Dashboard, click Tools > Export.  You'll get an export the posts, pages, images, etc. directly from there. It will give you a file.  Make a note of the location.

4   Browse to your new site, as admin.  Go to the Dashboard > Tools > Import.  it will ask you to install WP Importer.  Accept and activate that plugin.  Then using it, browse to the file you downloaded. 

5.  When it imports it will ask you what you want imported.  Say everything. It will grab the menu, posts, pages, etc. etc. etc.

6.  When completed, go to Dashboard > Posts > All Posts and see if your posts are there... do the same with pages, etc. Check your media library too.

7.  Begin working with DMS and style the entire site.  You're on your way!

For reference:  http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

http://www.dailyblogtips.com/how-to-move-a-small-wordpress-site-via-the-importexport-tool/

JawDesigns

Hi Rob,

Wow, that's absolutely perfect and thanks again for the help with this! I'll follow your tutorial above and I'm sure everything will be ok.

All the best,

James

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Rob

Anytime James!

JawDesigns

Hi Rob,

Sorry to dig this up again but I wanted to let you know that I've followed your steps and everything seems to have worked ok, thanks very much! However, I noticed that there's a responsive issue with the woocommerce products. In the older pagelines framework I had the layout set to 'Static with Pixel Width' and I don't know if there's a way to do this in DMS. Currently the woocommerce products are getting scrunched up when viewed on small browsers (or mobile devices). You can see what I mean from the following link which I've just created (fresh install of wp):

http://www.jawdesigns.co.uk/raceware/product-category/garmin-mounts/

Also, now that I have everything in DMS (on a test site) I also just wanted to double check that exporting everything back to the original domain will be a simple procedure because at some point I'll need to move everything back to the original domain name (www.racewaredirect.com).

Thanks very much for any advice on this!

All the best, James

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Rob

Hi James,

The old Static with Pixel Width has been replaced by Pixel Width Based Layout, which you'll find under Global Options > Layout & Nav.   Static is not something you'll find with DMS, as it means that the site would not be responsive for mobile devices.  In looking at the linked example page, I see that all the products are set up correctly with percentages as their widths, which is perfect for responsiveness, though I see exactly what you mean.

I've examined the related CSS and it seems to be coming from WooCommerce.

I think there are three options, none of which are ideal.

1.  Reduce the number of products per line from 4 to 3. (I doing it suggest this, at least to test.)

2.  Contact WooCommerce

3.  Contact Ellen (if you want this, I'll facilitate), who's our expert WooCommerce developer (she is an independent contractor, and you may need to hire her).

The problem I'm seeing is there's no specific cause for the overlap in any of the CSS that I can find.

As for exporting, also under Global Options you'll find Import - Export.  Unlike Framework, DMS provides multiple options for this process, and I think you'll find it excellent.  Just remember that it is only exporting the DMS - themes, templates, settings, etc.  It won't export any modified content.  I always suggest to copy any custom CSS separately, so that you can implement it manually (copy/paste).

If you have another installation set up, with nothing but WP and DMS, you can easily conduct a test of exporting from your development site to your testing installation and see how it goes.

JawDesigns

Thanks for the advice on this Rob, I have read a few posts tonight and there's been a few comments about how woocommerce is not responsive when used with non-woocommerce themes. I'm no expert but I stumbled across a site (http://alexis.nomine.fr/en/blog/2013/04/27/a-bit-of-responsiveness-for-woocommerce-2-0-default-stylesheet/) which provides some information and a stylesheet which could help me?

I'm also not sure how to reduce the number of products from 4 to 3 but I guess I'll work this out as I noticed many have been asking the same question on other sites and forums so I guess it's a common problem amongst many users.

Thanks, James 

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

JawDesigns

Wow, and it actually works! Like you said Rob it wasn't anything to do with DMS but an issue with the default woocommerce style sheet!

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Rob

YAY!  For an old geezer, I still get some things right on occasion! :D

JawDesigns

LOL, yes you certainly do. Thanks a lot Rob! :)

James Wilson

Designer & Photographer

Rob

Anytime James!