Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

prow

Linking media box to URL

prow

Hi Support Team, 

I want to link the image in the Media Box to a specific URL - can this happen? If not, can you suggest how I might be able to set up this functionality another way?

Thanks!

Jake

Hi prow - I think the easiest way to accomplish this would be to enter html into the media box area instead of uploading the image itself. See http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_imglink for an example of how to accomplish this and enter your code in this area http://d.pr/i/31Tg/

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

studioc5

This is very strange that dms does not come with a simple image with link component.  Couldnt you put that in with the next release, its like two lines of code to add it to the mediabox.

Danny

The reason as to why there isn't a image link box, is because like you say its one line of code. You can easily do this in the MediaBox with HTML.

If we were to add an image link box, then users would start requesting more and more options, then the simple image link box, would become quite complex. So the MediaBox with HTML is the best solution.

You could always use a widget area and use an image widget.

Please search our forums, before posting!

studioc5

God forbid we request more options, lol   well I will just make a copy of that compenent and add in the link functionality. Is there a directory where I can make all my custom sections avliable to the commnuity ?

greenfly

if you want to submit your custom sections to the store you can do so here http://developer.pagelines.com/submit-a-store-product/ 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

ketri

The reason as to why there isn't a image link box, is because like you say its one line of code. You can easily do this in the MediaBox with HTML.

If we were to add an image link box, then users would start requesting more and more options, then the simple image link box, would become quite complex. So the MediaBox with HTML is the best solution.

You could always use a widget area and use an image widget.

I understand and believe this is a good philosophy overall for startups. 
Still, alt-tag and link -fields for the MediaBox image would be great and IMO are more on the "really basic -must have stuff" than bloat/features just for the sake of features.
This because we have to write the code in browser and not i.e. Sublime Text where the autocomplete writes most of the code and tags, and also for non-developers who might be using the site for easier modifications. 

Danny

You sort of answer your own question, you say alt text/link fields are really basic and must have. So that is the reason as to why there is a HTML area, so you can add this one line of code.

There is no reason to write the your HTML code in DMS, you can if you're not comfortable with HTML/CSS, write it in a code editor such as SubLime Text 2, then copy and paste into the HTML area.

I have already included these options onto our tracker as a feature request, which you can view here - https://github.com/pagelines/DMS/issues/619

Please search our forums, before posting!

suerama

I'm looking to add links to my images, and don't understand how to add a custom field using HTML/CSS.  Neither do I know where to find the HTML area you mention. 

I agree that link fields don't seem like bloat elements, but should be standard. Just my 2 cents.

studioc5, would you like to post your coding solution here?

dsamper

Every CMS includes a simple button to add an image from your HD or from the Media repository... What's the default URL if I wanna point to the media image? 

dsamper

I take that back. This is now a feature in the MediaBox. 

Thanks!