Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

illinimatt81

Primary Sidebar Missing in v1.0.3

illinimatt81

Just upgraded to DMS v1.0.3 and the Primary Sidebar is no longer an option in the widgets panel and seems to have been removed. Wordpress moved the widget content of that sidebar to the "inactive sidebars" and there is no longer a primary sidebar option in the widgets section of Wordpress to move the content back into. Custom sidebars I had for the footer were unaffected in the update so it appears something is amiss just with the Primary Sidebar section.

Any thoughts?

Jake

Hi illinimatt81 - That does sound amiss and haven't encountered this yet myself. Do you still have the Primary Sidebar available as a drag and drop section in the DMS visual editor?

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

illinimatt81

Hi illinimatt81 - That does sound amiss and haven't encountered this yet myself. Do you still have the Primary Sidebar available as a drag and drop section in the DMS visual editor?

Hi Jake

Yes, it is still an option in the drag and drop section in the DMS visual editor

Here it is: http://screencast.com/t/aIicsgKIv

And in the sections: http://screencast.com/t/ge3zDCpniy

Here is where it is missing in the widget section in WP. Note it is now the inactive sidebar: http://screencast.com/t/RShjvObd8x

Jake

Thanks for all that info illinimatt81 - I'm not sure what's going on but have a couple of thoughts. I see the morefoot sidebars in there and wonder if you have v2 compatibility mode enabled. If so, can you try turning that off to see if that helps? Also, I'm wondering if you can try disabling plugins, especially the sidebar plugin, let's see if that does anything.

illinimatt81

Thanks for all that info illinimatt81 - I'm not sure what's going on but have a couple of thoughts. I see the morefoot sidebars in there and wonder if you have v2 compatibility mode enabled. If so, can you try turning that off to see if that helps? Also, I'm wondering if you can try disabling plugins, especially the sidebar plugin, let's see if that does anything.

Hi Jake

I tried each of your suggestions.

-I do not have V2 compatibility mode enabled.

-The morefoot sidebars are appearing as I have the pagelines legacy plugin installed

-I disabled the sidebar plugin that is recommended to use in Pagelines Docs and still no luck. 

I did some more trouble shooting. There is a conflict with the Pagelines Legacy Sections plugin created by Ellen Moore. When I disable the Pagelines Legacy Sections Plugin the Primary Sidebar reappears. This is a bug/conflict that should be addressed.

Jake

Hi illinimatt81 - I have just now tested it myself and can confirm your findings. Thanks very much for pointing this out, I will bring it to the attention of the developers right away.

illinimatt81

Hi illinimatt81 - I have just now tested it myself and can confirm your findings. Thanks very much for pointing this out, I will bring it to the attention of the developers right away.

Jake Great! I'm hopeful it can be resolved quickly.

Rob

Matt,

This may be a dumb question, but did you actually drag the DMS section for Sidebars to the column where desired and save a template with it? And publish a page with that template?

From my experience, if you don't have the sidebar active in the site, it won't appear in Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets, ready for use.

Let me know if this works!

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

illinimatt81

Matt,

This may be a dumb question, but did you actually drag the DMS section for Sidebars to the column where desired and save a template with it? And publish a page with that template?

From my experience, if you don't have the sidebar active in the site, it won't appear in Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets, ready for use.

Let me know if this works!

Hi Rob

I have done the steps above. Jake was able to replicate the same issue I had on his end and has reported it to the dev team.

I've actually decided to dive in and just refresh my site and take the opportunity to redesign it and implement things the way they are designed to be done in DMS. I've deleted all of the content from the boxes and banners that were in Framework and recreated what I needed in DMS using the responsive grid.

I am finding that the possibilities and control I have with DMS are endless. My entire website is going to have a very different and markedly better design when I push the sandbox version live. Hours have vanished as I have gotten lost in how functional and beautifully everything works together.

That being said, I have other sites where I may want to have the legacy plugin work, so I hope there is a resolution soon.