Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jwchameleoncorp

Display different blog post on different pages?

jwchameleoncorp    0
jwchameleoncorp

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if there is a way to display or segregate different blog posts to different pages? The website I'm working on has several different functions:

1. an eCommerce component (Daily Deals and other stuff - under the Daily Deals tab)

2. Guest authors who give tips and advice to the audience. (under the Savvy Sisters tab)

3. a Do-It-Yourself section with different ideas (under the DIY Tips tab)

When a Daily Deal is created I want it to show up under the Daily Deals tab/page. When an guest author creates a post, it should show up under the Savvy Sisters tab/page, and when we post DIY tips they should show up under the DYI Tips tab/page.

From what I can tell, all blog posts go on your blog page and can not be segregated to different pages. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for your help! 

Rob    547
Rob

Well, this has me dazed.

A good ecommerce system doesn't put the products in the homepage, unless you set it to do that.

You should be using categories. 

You can also control your homepage by creating a static hompeage.  Your blog page is supposed to show everything, but that doesn't mean you have to make it public.  You can use it as a backup page, and create speciality pages displaying posts by category, using plugins like Special Recent Posts.

Authors can be set up, so that you have author profiles, and again, categories work well.

In your menu, make the DIY link to that category, which then lets you display posts only from that category when they go to that link.

You have many options with WordPress. Direct category link, or create a page that brings you to the category page. WP is very flexible, and thus lets you create as many pages and categories as you desire.  The blog page is just a list of everything added and doesn't  have to be displayed.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jwchameleoncorp    0
jwchameleoncorp

Hi Rob!

Dazed! Haha, love it! I really appreciate your insight and expertise. I'm still learning Wordpress. It seems like there's always more to know, especially when you set out to do something new. I'll dig deeper into using categories. You know of any good tutorials or articles that I should look at that explore using categories? Obviously I need to learn more about them.

Thanks again!

Jeff :)

Rob    547
Rob

Jeff,  I'm using WP for 6 years and still learning. 

This is a good place to learn http://www.lynda.com/

jwchameleoncorp    0
jwchameleoncorp

Hey Rob,

Downloaded the Special Recent Posts PRO. Pretty slick. Thanks!

Rob    547
Rob

Excellent.  I'm glad to hear it! 

jwchameleoncorp    0
jwchameleoncorp

Hey Rob,

So I've learned a lot about using categories. The plugins are slick and I'm digging the progress. However, so far from what I can see, the plugins only create the category posts in the side bar, not the main content area for a target page.

I watched this YouTube video and did what he suggested, but couldn't get it to work. In the comments section, he states that some themes do not work with what he was teaching. Can Pagelines populate category posts in the content area of a page?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGC-Ljsg5sk&list=PL5BR8Q5kxOmHxmlSsgEe_DGc8tmb5HKp9&index=1

Thanks!

Jeff

Rob    547
Rob

Jeff, in the widget, when you're in Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets and click on SRP Pro, and you set up all the options for a category, at the bottom of one of the panels, you will see the shortcode.  Copy it, then cancel the implementation of the category in the sidebar.

Paste the shortcode anywhere you desire -- pages, posts. etc.

jwchameleoncorp    0
jwchameleoncorp

Ah hah! I'll give that a try. Thanks Rob. Have a great weekend!

Rob    547
Rob

You too!

jwchameleoncorp    0
jwchameleoncorp

Hey Rob,

So I follow the instructions you gave and it posted them on the right page, hooray! However, the posts don't display right.

The Home Page (Where the blog currently is) posts correctly (http://sisteronabudget.com

However, the page I tested the code on, http://sisteronabudget.com/savvy-sisters/savvy-sister-1/, does not display right. As you can see the content overlaps the thumbnail and the posts are not evenly displayed on the page. The overlap also happens on the sidebar, on both pages.

Is this an issue with the theme, or the plugin? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

James B    436
James B

Hi Jeff

Looking at your link it seems that it's the code inside special recent posts which isn't displaying the thumbnail container at the correct width. You can fix this with css though using the code below. Just paste it into the custom code box and save.

div.srp-widget-container a {
    outline: medium none;
    width: 100px;
}

That should give this result - http://screencast.com/t/N6lBwWEd

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

jwchameleoncorp    0
jwchameleoncorp

Hi James,

Thanks for the tip! I wish knew how to program though. Even after looking at your Screencast, I still have no clue where I would even find the custom code box. And once I did find the box, where would I past the code?

Thanks,

Jeff

Rob    547
Rob

Jeff, go to Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options > Custom Code and paste James' code on the first new line under body {}

Save the settings.  View the site. The change should be implemented.  If not, refresh your browser and view.

• Similar Content

• Queue-it
      By Queue-it+
      Hi,
      Is it possible to add a sidebar only for one post category? Without adding extra plugins or editing the theme code? 
      I have 4 categories of posts (blog post, news, job listing, case studies) but I want to have a sidebar only for the blog posts to appear. 
      How can I do that? 
      Thanks!
    • rrosewarne
      By rrosewarne
      Hi
      The comments on blog posts isn't working? it used to but now if you click the 'leave comment' link it goes to the bottom of the page and there is no comment box
      http://www.rosewarnegardens.com/the-joys-of-a-qualified-horticulturalist/
    • angiek
      By angiek
      Last year, at some point, I figured out how to remove my dates from my blog posts as per a mentor that said I shouldn't have them on. I really don't like it, though, and want to turn them back on. I have looked through everything I can think of in PageLines framework from my dashboard, but can't find where I turned them off.

I've searched the forums here for help, but nothing comes up.

I've read through several articles on WordPress.org forums, but none of them seem applicable because of the PageLines framework. They say I simply need to add this code: <?php the_time(); ?> or <?php the_date(); ?> to my post.php file and it will turn it back on. That seems to do nothing. Please tell me there is an easy fix!
    • Mike_Giesen
      By Mike_Giesen
      Hello - 

We run a product page/blog using DMS 2, one of the reason we're so successful is because we do a good job with our blog. Since upgrading to DMS 2 we've noticed that we can't exceed 20 posts to load on the blog page. 

My question is this; how do we enable the blog section to exceed 20 posts? 

Is there a way to do this via code edit? It's extremely important we be able to display more than 20 posts at a time - otherwise I'm not sure this theme is going to fit our needs. 

If any additional details are needed, please ask and I'll provide. Thank You.

Site Details:

Framework Version: 2.1.9.3
      URL: www.inkbutter.com
      Wordpress Version: 4.1.1

Please see Screenshot to see exactly what I'm trying to increase: 

http://i.imgur.com/2xe4ZoW.png
    • fancoder
      By fancoder+
      I am having real difficulties getting the Blog Posts to show up on a Blog page template. I created page called Blog and this page I included it in the main men. I installed the iBlog Standard Template. What must I do to get the Blog Posts to show up on page? I have attached 2 images of what the page looks like one image shows the page itself which is directly below and the other below it shows the posts showing up in another page using a Blog Grid layout.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.