Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elijah

Create page called www.______/blog thru dashboard but only gave me option for /blog-3 fixable?

elijah

I think i created the page wrong in wp a few times so as i was creating a page to become a header in the nav i realized that i made a few mistakes now the link maker only gives me www.________/blog-3 instead of /blog... I had the menu item named blog but because there was not page created it said page not found but when i went to make the page in dashboard it wouldn't allow me to make the link /blog which is preferred.  any way to change that in wp? 

thanks and much appreciated forum!

working on site www.ncludmedia.com

thanks!

Danny

Hi,

If you create any page, and it has an unwanted number value in the URL, the most likely cause is that you have already created a page with that name, so that slug has already be taken, this is the reason for the -3, which means you have created that page with that name 3 times.

You most likely have added these unwanted pages to your trash, this doesn't reset the slug, so in order to have /blog you first need to go to your pages trash can and delete the other pages with the name /blog

Please search our forums, before posting!

Danny

No problem.

elijah

one more if you've got a second. my blog roll doesn't seem to be rolling. I installed the post loop and added a few posts but they don't be showing up in the roll. only on the side bar widget recent posts...

any thoughts

u can check it here http://ncludmedia.com/blog/

Danny

Hi,

It appears that you haven't created your blog page correctly and instead add content to the page itself.

Read the Wordpress docs for information on how to setup your blog page correctly - http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_a_Static_Front_Page

Danny

Its not possible to have different templates for different blog posts. We have posted an issue on our tracker regarding Dynamic templates for different posts, but at the moment this is not possible.

elijah

ok so just so i understand there is no way to put video content on a blog post w/ dms? or am i just doing it wrong. I would strongly believe its me :)

Danny

You can add Video content to a post, you would add it to the post itself and not use a section, unless you want to have this video on all posts. I recommend you read the Wordpress documentation, as most of your questions are related to Wordpress and not specific to DMS - http://en.support.wordpress.com/add-media/

elijah

ok now im super stuck. one last question Danny. u've been a big help bro. thanks a million on the side! so i just read everything u sent over and it appears i don't have a page called home for static page because im using a domain name as the front "static page" so the doc u sent said i need to create a page titled home so my thought is if i built the page /home having the front page w/ out that page already, will i need to copy the front page somehow in dms to match it. i created the front page ncludmedia.com in DMS not WP ADMIN. so when i go to the reading settings page for front page there is no selection for home because i don't have one. if i create one will that override the domain name page i already created? def don't wanna break and rebuild it if i don't have to. i just wanna set up a blog roll and it doesn't seem the page u sent will help me complete it?

thanks in advance. last newb question on this.

Danny

If you have created your homepage without setting up a Static page, then Wordpress by default will display your blog posts on your homepage, basically meaning that this is your blog page until you change it via static pages.

So if you add the Postloop section to your front page at the moment, your blog posts will display. However, if you set your site to use static pages, your blog posts will not display on your homepage and will be displayed on the page your set as your Posts Page via the Static page instructions.

Most people who want nothing more than a blog will most likely not use the Static page option, as they want to display their posts as soon as visitors load their site. On the other hand companies prefer to display marketing info, callouts etc.. and have their news/blog on a separate page.

So the choice is up to you. However if you have configured your homage already and now want to use static pages, its most likely you will need to configure the template again.

The page I sent you to, is an official Wordpress document, for assisting its users to setup a static front page (homepage and a Posts page (blog) on their site. If you have any other questions related to DMS please create a new forum topic, if you have any other questions related to Wordpress, I recommend you create a post on their support forums.