Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

barkingsheltie

Question on general install procedure for sections & plugins

barkingsheltie

I've purchased a couple sections now. Downloaded a few free ones too. 

I 'thought' the typical installation procedure for sections - upload them to  "child theme'/sections (if you have child theme). That way, sections/custom css are protected in any update to DMS. 

A few haven't worked when I've done this - for instance Business Branding, Collapser. 

They work only when installed through WP dashboard->plugins. They show up in the WP plugins menu as well. 

It might be that Ellen's plugin, maybe collapser stipulated this - although I just unzipped both archives and there doesn't seem to be any installation text. 

Nick's classy plugin instructed that we upload through WP plugins. 

In general, should one upload through WP dashboard plugin menu when dealing with any section, plugin that you obtain from Pagelines or developer?

Maybe this is obvious, but just in case there are others who might be similarly curious. 

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool"
Richard P. Feynman

James Giroux

Hey There!  Great question.  Because developers don't know exactly what an end user will do with a section they are all wrapped as plugins.  What that means is that the folder structure is set up to work as a plugin and not as a section you would put in your child theme folder.  That being said, you can probably rig something up with a little editing to get it to work within a child theme.  

So to answer your question in one line:

Install sections you get from developers and from the store as plugins.

Again, great question, thanks for asking!

James.

James Giroux, CEO
Groundwork

barkingsheltie

Thanks James!

There was one section, I think the Ubermenu one from sevenspark, that didn't work when added as plugin - or maybe it didn't show up as a plugin in the WP plugin dashboard - which can be confusing as you might expect. 

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool"
Richard P. Feynman

Rob

Ubermenu has a special section they built. Look in their support forum.  They provide it free, and it's just for DMS.  You can also search this forum for Ubermenu and will find links and options to use.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur