Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

illinimatt81

Framework to DMS Upgrade Question

illinimatt81

I am planning to migrate my site http://runneracademy.com from Framework to DMS. I have been thinking about how to best accomplish this. My thought is to take a copy of my existing site and put it on a local development server using XAMPP and then installing DMS and making the needed tweaks, CSS work and testing everything out to a child theme.

My question is how to handle new content added to the live site while this is going on (blog posts for example). 

Am I correct to assume that new content is not an issue in that I can make all the styling on the local server version with DMS and get everything looking good and then simply update the live version to DMS, install the child theme, update the custom CSS and then the site should be migrated?

Thanks for any input.

Danny

Hi,

It is always recommended when migrating to a new theme is to do so either locally or on a demo site and never the live site itself. So I would say your thought on doing this via XAMPP is the best method.

In regards to your content i.e. blog posts, new content such as posts will have no effect on your migration as these are created via Wordpress. So when you recreate your site in DMS locally i.e. your layout, settings, styling etc.., all you need to do is export your theme settings using the import/export option and then import these to DMS on your live site.

Please search our forums, before posting!

illinimatt81

Thanks Danny

I'm not sure why my post appeared twice. Must have been a glitch or I accidentally hit the mouse button twice when originally submitting.

How does the paid DMS license apply to this situation? Would DMS see the local host as a different domain than the live domain?

James B

Hi there, the activation key would see the local host and the live site separately. So you'd need to count the local host in as one of your site activations.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

illinimatt81

Hi there, the activation key would see the local host and the live site separately. So you'd need to count the local host in as one of your site activations.

Thanks. What happens when I push the site to live? Do I simply need to activate again? I have DMS business. Just want to make sure I understand before I push things over.

James B

Hi there

You'll need to enter the activation key on the live site once its migrated and then either deactivate on the local install or use the local install for the next site you're creating etc.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B