Sign in to follow this  
mattvh

PlatformPro - Additional Custom Menu

mgwaters
Hi Adam, I'm trying your suggested code to try and add another menu in the header section and am not seeing it appear in the Theme Locations within the WP Dashboard > Appearance > Menus area. Here is the code I am using: Created a file called section.globalnav.php in my /themes/platformbase/ directory ` 'This is the menu that appears atop the main nav and contains home and contact us', 'workswith' => array('header'), 'icon' => CHILD_IMAGES . '/icon-pullquote.png' ); // OPS /* Draw section using the section API - don't need to touch this*/ //$settings = wp_parse_args( $registered_settings, $default_settings ); commented out - mw parent::__construct($name, $id, $settings); } function section_template() { ?>
'main-nav', 'container' => null, 'container_class' => '', 'depth' => 3, 'theme_location'=>'utilityNav','fallback_cb'=>'nav_fallback') ); } ?>
__( 'Global Navigation', 'pagelines' ) ) ); } } /* End of section class - No closing tag needed */ ` And this the entry in my functions.php file within my /themse/platformbase/ directory: ` pagelines_register_section('BaseGlobalNav', 'globalnav', null, array('child' => true) ); ` I'm wondering if this is part of a bigger issue of my childtheme not being recognized. I have edited a themes/platformbase/style.css file and it seems to have no effect, so perhaps these two issues are related?

mgwaters
Duh! I had the PlatformPro theme activated, not the platformbase. Once I switched that all is fine.

jwheeler81
I'm trying to do the exact same thing here. I was able to do the first part (created a file called section.globalnav.php in my /themes/platformbase/ directory) but when I try to add the entry in my functions.php file within my /themes/platformbase/ directory, I get a syntax error. Am I missing something from the code below?: pagelines_register_section('BaseGlobalNav', 'globalnav', null, array('child' => true) ); I also tried to look-up the documentation for registering a section and I get this message: No documentation available for pagelines_register_section() Thanks!

Danny
Hi Jwheeler81, What is the error you get ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

jwheeler81
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 491520 bytes) in /data/25/2/99/77/2588729/user/2838747/htdocs/WordPress/wp-admin/menu.php on line 254

mgwaters
Hi All, I do have another question related to these custom menus. What if I wanted to have some sub pages of the custom menu items and have those appear as drop down menus? So... I want them to behave like the PlatformPro main navigation, where the sub-menu items appear when mousing over an item in my custom menu that contain sub-pages. Clear as mud? Because of a design constraint, I'm using custom menus in place of the regular navigation menu. Let me know if you need more explanation on this. But my basic question is if it's possible to have drop down menus for these custom menus? I did try placing some sub pages in the Appearance > Menu area with the sub menu item indented and the mouseover does not work. I did activate the Enable Drop Down Navigation in the Platform Pro > Header and Nav admin area. If I enable the main nav in my theme as a test, the main nav does show the sub menu item on rollover, but as I mentioned, the drops downs do not appear for the custom menus. Let me know if I should start a separate discussion for this. Thank you!!

catrina
It's possible for child pages to drop down in Custom Menus. When dragging child page menu items into the menu, you need to drag and drop them so that they fall slightly to the right below the parent menu item. Please see here for instructions: http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Menu_User_Guide#Creating_multi-level_menus

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

mgwaters
Hi Catrina, I did do that. Attached is a screen grab of the menus. http://lsanter.com/bouzoukis/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/menu.png http://lsanter.com/bouzoukis/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/themeLocations.png As a test I assigned the BouzoukisNav section for the Main Nav in addition to the custom menu I created and placed in the header. It's the second menu here: http://lsanter.com/bouzoukis/ The dropdown works in the 2nd menu system but not the first. I'm sure there's a more elegant way to do this.

Danny
@jwheeler81 - That's a hosting issue, I would recommend you to contact them. @mgwaters - First of all you're using Platform Pro 1.5.0, latest version is 1.5.3. Also the drop down is appearing on my screen but you have two menus. The second one has the drop down although the CSS is slightly messed up.

Please search our forums, before posting!

mgwaters
Catrina, Correct. I added the 2nd menu just to test if it would worked when assigned to the Primary Website navigation (which it did) See my second screen grab from above: http://lsanter.com/bouzoukis/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/themeLocations.png So, the top menu is the one I want to have the dropdowns in and is associated with this menu: http://lsanter.com/bouzoukis/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/menu.png Not sure what I'm doing wrong that the top menu doesn't work.

mgwaters
Just wondered if anyone had any further insight into this as I still can't get that custom menu to display a submenu drop down if it is NOT assigned as the primary nav menu.

mgwaters
Hmmm. Guess not. I'll keep trying and let you know what I discover. Thx.