Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dbrowne02

2 sections in 1 column

dbrowne02

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to place 2 sections in 1 column. I ask because I am trying to make a site with a vertical navigation bar next to a quickslider, specifically, the vertical navigation bar (textbox) is to the left of the quickslider (please see attached screenshot). It looks fine on a computer, but on a mobile the vertical navigation bar appears first, followed by the quickslider below it, which doesn't look as good. Is it possible to place the textbox and the quickslider in the same column, side by side, so that when viewing on mobile, the textbox with vertical navigation stays next to the quickslider? The only other idea I had to was disable mobile view, but it doesn't look like that's an option with DMS.

Thank you in advance for any ideas you may have.

Thanks.

CoachJo

I'm not sure whether the support staff and other experts want me to give my two cents worth here but here's what I would do...

I'd put two columns side by side and then adjust the size of the columns so the bigger one had the slider and the smaller one had the text box.

Jake

Hi dbrowne02 - because the mobile version is programmed to sort of "stack" elements in order to fit into the small screen, I do think the quickest solution is probably to turn it off. This post on the forum outlines the steps needed to make this happen. http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/28639-disable-mobile-responsiveness/

CoachJo - Thanks so much for your two cents. We're thrilled to have you contribute in any way and I'd be happy to have you prove me wrong anytime!

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

dbrowne02

Hi Jake and Coachjo,

Thanks for your suggestions. Jake, I actually tried disabling mobile view after Enabling v2 Compatibility Mode before posting. Unfortunately, disabling mobile view does not disable mobile view (I tried once again just now). The site is still showing a mobile optimized view whether that box is checked or not.

Huh...

Jake

Hi dbrowne - hmmm..I've tried it myself and found it to work but others have reported the same thing as you so I have a couple of other thoughts. Some folks have reported that after enabling v2 compatibility and disabling mobile view, they then switch back to "normal" dms by disabling compatibility mode and at that point the mobile view stopped working. Sounds counter-intuitive for sure, but may be worth a try. Another option would be via CSS. Give this a look as well http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/browser-specific-css.

The unfortunate situation you're in is that DMS was really built to maximize responsiveness so getting around that takes a bit of finagling.

Have you searched the forums yet or checked out the DMS user docs?

PageLines geek, blogging at MyUntangledLife.com

dbrowne02

Thanks Jake. I tried option 1 to disable mobile view, it didn't work. I have used Browser Specific CSS before with great success, but am unfamiliar how target elements that turn off responsiveness. Thanks in advance for any ideas you or anyone else may have.

Thanks.