Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dhrose

Section color... minimum height?

dhrose+    3
dhrose

I'v been experimenting with creating full-width sections and coloring them (background), but I don't seem to be getting the correct results.

1. If I want a header section top, that is solid black with white text, and a fullwidth section below it, that is solid white and a footer that is solid gray... can that be done with section area themes? I'm having no luck making a solid white "section." er, without custom css that is.

2. Minimum height doesn't seem to be working at all... maybe I'm not understanding the function, but it doesn't seem to be creating a height for the area?

3. Is there a way to keep the footer at the bottom of the browser window in dms? I've made the body a solid color before, then made the content area a solid white, the footer solid black and the header a color to cheat the effect. Minimum height doesn't seem to help either.

Thanks! 

Danny    1,327
Danny

Hi,

We have documentation that shows you how to create different colored full width sections - http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/creating-a-branding-area

2. Minimum height does work, Ive just tested it. Let's say you want one of your full width section areas to have a min-height of 600 pixels, then in the min-height option add 600. Please bear in mind that min-height doesn't take padding/margin into consideration, so if you add 600, it may well be more due to padding/margin or your content.

3. Not sure what you're referring to, can you explain further and provide a screenshot of what you currently have and a screenshot showing what you want.

Please search our forums, before posting!

dhrose+    3
dhrose

Hmmm... I see you can't put px after sizes. Is that the case in all global sizes, just number? My question about the footer was:

– I want the footer area say 350px, to stay at the bottom of the bowser window regardless of the size of the content area... so if there are a only a few lines of text in the content area (section) the footer stays at the bottom of the browser window, even if it's resized. I had some custom css for doing it in dreamweaver called "sticky footer."

Thanks! 

Rob    547
Rob

The footer should always remain at the bottom by default.  I can't imagine it going anywhere else. 

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

dhrose+    3
dhrose

Here's a link to what I'm referring to... http://www.cssstickyfooter.com/

Anyway... If I add a full-width section... then place a text block within that, the set area padding should move that text block (up or down) within the section, correct? I have a minimum height set for the section but the text block is not moving down. I was trying to put a text block and a menu in the section then center them vertically but the section area – area padding isn't moving the objects...

Hmmm...    

Danny    1,327
Danny

AH, a sticky footer would most likely require the use of a hook, as it would most likely need to be outside of the #site div. It would be quite tricky in my opinion to implement, unless someone else knows of a simple method.

You can use the Bootstrap Sticky Footer page as an example.

http://getbootstrap.com/examples/sticky-footer/

Also, not sure what it is you're trying to achieve with the centring of vertical sections ? Can you explain in greater detail and possibly provide a screenshot of what you have and what it is you want.

dhrose+    3
dhrose

In the section area in the dashboard there is a setting called "set area padding." If I place a text block or media box within that section... shouldn't this move the text block or media box (I placed in the section) up or down vertically (left or right) if I set the padding to say, 50px? The setting doesn't seem to be affecting objects I place in the "section." ??? And or is this affected if I set a minimum height?

Was there supposed to be some code for that bootstrap example? Didn't see any way to implement...

Thanks!

Danny    1,327
Danny

The code for the Bootstrap example is view by the page source and the CSS used on that page.

Regarding the padding, it should position your sections higher or lower depending on your padding settings. I have just added a MediaBox and TextBox section to a section area. Then in the Section Area settings, adding 200px at the top and zero at the bottom.

Then added a TextBox beneath it, add HTML for an image and in the Padding Shorthand option, added 200px 0. When I refresh the page, there is a 200px gap between the top of the Full Width Section Area and a 200px gap between the bottom of the MediaBox section and the TextBox section.

I think you may want to make sure you're using the latest version of DMS, which is 1.0.2