Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pehja

Child theme gets overwritten

pehja

Hi!

In DMS is there another way to go about when using a child theme. Because when i put something there it still gets overwritten when there is an update.

Thanks!

Professionell musician | Webbdesigner | Apple freak

Pehja Production.png

Dominik

Hi,

an update for dms? or a child theme? 

an own child theme or one from store?

what do you have changed and how?

a screenshot of your file structrue of dms and the childtheme opend could help to.

greetz

Dominik

pehja
Dominik, there is no need för a sceeenshot. If you dont't understand the question don't get involved! ;-)

Pehja Production.png

Danny

How can it be overwritten when there is an update, there is no update to the child theme.

Also, what Dominik asked was completely reasonable and would help greatly. I think you should be more polite when a user is taking his/her time to assist you.

Please search our forums, before posting!

pehja
I know you don't like me Danny, but there is now reason for you to be a smart as about it.
I was not unpolite!

But you naled it! That is exactly the question. How can a Child theme get owerritten!!

Pehja Production.png

Simon

A childs theme files cannot get changed/deleted/overwritten by updating the parent theme. It is impossible.

If this was the case im sure it would be all over the wordpress forums as there are literally millions of people using child themes.

pehja
Well, Simon......yes.....I know.......hens my question. Never mind I will sort this on my own.

Pehja Production.png

Danny

I know you don't like me Danny, but there is now reason for you to be a smart as about it.
I was not unpolite!

But you naled it! That is exactly the question. How can a Child theme get owerritten!!

No idea what you're talking about, how can I dislike someone when I have never met them?

I wasn't being a smart ass, I was simply informing you to be polite to other PageLines users, especially those who take the time to reply to your question to assist you.

Now as for your issues please answer the following questions.

* What update, an update to DMS or a your child theme ?
* A store child theme or your custom child theme?

* What was overwritten ?

* What is the location of your child theme?

Please search our forums, before posting!

webmktco

This has to be a joke, right?   :huh:

pehja

1. The update was from DMS version 0.9.6 to 0.9.7

2. There has been some issues with the store as you may be aware of, and there have been no child Theme available to buy or install. Therefore it is a Child theme I have created from one of Nicks bas theme.

3. 2 things where overwritten. I had made some changes to columnizer and popthumbsection.

4. The location of the Child theme you can see in the attached picture

Obviously there is something I have done wrong. But it has been very unclear what to do or not with DMS (as far as i know) You have probably done a great job doing the docs. But the docs have not been consistent with reality for a while. I am NOT complaining just stating the facts.

Sk%C3%A4rmavbild-2013-08-23-kl.-16.13.55

I can see that there is another update 1.0.1 but I have not been updating yet as you can see from the image below 

Sk%C3%A4rmavbild-2013-08-23-kl.-16.16.45

I was aiming to dig into this. To learn and create som nice stuff for the store. I am part of the 300 but so far there have been very little information. It is a bit hard when you don't speek english fluently and I am afraid to ask questions that you might find stupid. But over the time, as I have been listening in the group, my questions are far from it.

Anyways. Since there as no child theme available i decided to create one my selfe. And since I might have done something wrong I was simply wanting to ask a question if there was something else to be done with child theme in DMS. Or if I should put it somewhere else. I dont know. 

When Dominik was trying to help. I thought the things he wanted me to do was irrelevant  Thats why I kindly asked him not to answer a question if he did not now what i was talking about. But neither did you or Simon. Thats clear now! I try to help in this forum as well. But I dont give answers to questions I dont know the answer to.

Pehja Production.png

LynCat

For a start all wordpress themes HAVE to be in a folder with no camelCase and no spaces in the name, so starter-theme NOT Starter Theme

thebastion

pehja I have been using my own child theme using the wordpress child theme codex and using nicks base theme which has been mentioned a lot in these forums and the links have been given out already.

Anyways I have been using them since 0.9.6 and have just updated again from 0.9.7 to 1.0.2 and never have any of them been overwritten.

It looks like you have done something wrong and as LynCat says, you should start by renaming your folder and removing any spaces.

Good luck.

pehja

Thanks LynCat"] and @[member="thebastion !

Pehja Production.png

Simon

Sorry to LynCat lol, stupid forum had me logged is as another user ;)

pehja

Well thanks then Simon ;)

Pehja Production.png

Rob

Glad to hear this is resolved.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur