Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lajvverkstaden

Primary & Secondary Navigation Menu

lajvverkstaden

Hi,

I've just installed Pagelines DMS and I'm trying it out. There's one thing I don't understand.

In Global Options >> Layout & Nav >> Standard Navigation, there are two options:

Primary Navigation Menu

This will be used in mobile menus and optionally other places throughout your site.

Secondary Navigation Menu

This will be shown subtly in areas throughout the site and in your mobile menu.

I don't understand how these work. I've tried assigning menus to them and publish the changes, but I can't see any changes anywhere. Where do they show up? What are they used for? The description of these menus aren't really clear to me. Will the Primary and Secondary Navigation Menu be used instead of the fixed navbar (which I am using on the site now) in mobile devices? Could someone please explain?

James B

Hi there,

The fixed navbar will have it's own settings for choosing the menu. If you look in the navbar menu in the DMS control panel>global options you'll see an option to select the fixed navbar menu in a drop down - http://screencast.com/t/SlbmLu9lcnc.

If you're not using a fixed navbar, but the navbar section or a third party nav (or the classic nav when it becomes available) then you can use the nav options as described in your initial post. http://screencast.com/t/NXqwG82p2yv

Using the drop downs in the global panel>layout and nav you can select a main global nav menu and a mobile menu. So that will become the primary menu chosen for each nav you enter if you don't set a different menu locally. Or if the menu switches to mobile view it will use the menu you select for the mobile option.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

lajvverkstaden

Thank you very much for the answer! Now I see how everything fits together.

So the Secondary Navigation Menu is the mobile option? Even though it says in the Primary Navigation Menu that it will be used in mobile menus? And what does "subtly in areas throughout the site" mean?

Thanks for your patience!

Rob

I'm still trying to figure that bit out myself.  As soon as I do, I'll let you know.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur