Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quinntinm

Questions about licencing before buying DMS

quinntinm

Hello.

I have a few questions relating to the sites and what happens when you stop the license.

As i understand it, once you stop the license, your site stays exactly as it is except for the "made by DMS" or similar credit in the footer.

Also, you cannot access the PRO features etc.

My question is am i able to stop a license for a site but then "re-license" the site for a short period of time if i need to do more development on the site at a later stage.

So if i have a 6 license option (Business), can i swap those 6 licenses where they are needed so i can technically have say 20 sites, but at any one time only 6 are licensed and can access the PRO features and functionality?

Thank you.

Danny

Hi,

I recommend you contact our helpdesk for this information. hello at pagelines dot com

Please search our forums, before posting!

quinntinm

Hi Danny, i got a reply and have some questions relating to the PRO features that would be disabled and i think this focum would be better positioned to answer them.

they replied:

Yes you can deactivate and activate up to six sites on your subscription at any one time. So if you have 20-30 sites, you can move the activation key from one site to another as you go.

However, please be aware that as soon as you deactivate a site, that any pro features you used in the design will be removed and a credit link for PageLines DMS will be added back to that site. So you'd need to take into consideration when building your site not to use the pro features if you intend to remove the activation key at a later date.

I am aware that access to the PRO features would be removed, but that they would not be removed from the site – so the site would remain unchanged except for the credit link.
When you say "removed", what exactly does that mean and what pro features would be affected?
As I don't know what is there without a full access demo, I am not sure what exactly that will mean.

What will the client (Or myself) not be able to do if these PRO features are not accessible?

I realise it will be feature specific and would appreciate it if they could be listed here.

Thanks Danny.

Rob

@quinntinm   Hi, this is really only a technical support forum.  We're unable to answer pre-sale questions.  That's the Helpdesk.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

soulhuntre

@quinntinm   Hi, this is really only a technical support forum.  We're unable to answer pre-sale questions.  That's the Helpdesk.

This is a technical question... and a straightforward one.

What happens to a site, specifically, when the pro licence for it is de-activated.

When you say "removed", what exactly does that mean and what pro features would be affected?

That sounds like a tech question to me.

Ken

-----------------------------------

Samurai Developer - WordPress and Enterprise level development in PHP, .NET and Node. 

Have a question about my services? Need help with a project? Just want to say hi? Go ahead and contact me!

Rob

Ken,

When the license is cancelled, revoked or expires, the basic site remains working. However, the footer watermark will re-appear, and the sections and plugins that come with the paid versions will automatically deactivate. So, the look, style and appearance of your site may break from the lack of the active license.  Still, the site will work and those sections can probably be replaced by free plugins and such.

jeomiland

When the license is cancelled, revoked or expires, the basic site remains working. However, the footer watermark will re-appear, and the sections and plugins that come with the paid versions will automatically deactivate. So, the look, style and appearance of your site may break from the lack of the active license.  Still, the site will work and those sections can probably be replaced by free plugins and such.

Ok, this is recepie for disaster!! and ties us to paying monthly/yearly forever!  So it we stop paying at some point in the future, our client sites will mysteriously break and we have to then go back to clients and offer to dedesign sections of sites that were created in DMS paid versions?? This is way bad news and makes me reconsider how I will design sites w/DMS...

Come on guys. This is not what I had signed up for. I was under the impression that no site would break, rather that advanced editing features would no longer be available - not that the capabilities would disappear totally. Now I have to negotiate with each client that they purchase their own Pagelines liscense and pay PL a yearly fee???

Not cool...

batman

Hi there

I read this at http://www.pagelines.com/pricing/

Does my site break if I stop paying?
No! What happens is you lose access to your professional-only editing tools and effects, the ability to add and edit Professional sections, and a credit link will be subtly added back to your site. Nothing functionality, layout or otherwise will change. We don't mess with sites!

Are the licenses good for a lifetime?
Licenses will last the duration of your subscription. If you cancel your subscription your PageLines DMS website will remain completely functional, but you’ll miss out on future pro features updates, capabilities and access to our friendly support staff.

This time i don´t understand the replys

;)

Life is too short to remove USB safely ...

jeomiland
I am aware that access to the PRO features would be removed, but that they would not be removed from the site – so the site would remain unchanged except for the credit link.

As I don't know what is there without a full access demo, I am not sure what exactly that will mean.

What will the client (Or myself) not be able to do if these PRO features are not accessible?

I realise it will be feature specific and would appreciate it if they could be listed here.

I agree, a list of the Pro features will be essential to have as we design sites. Perhaps this is available on the PL site?

Knowing which features might "break" in the future, should the license disappear is important, as it sets us up for possible liability issues in the future unless we agree to pay PL for the life of our client sites, or get them to purchase their own licenses - and if that's the case, what's the advantage of purchasing a Business or Developer license???

This may be a game changer for me. I strongly urge PL to revisit this issue and make it so sites don't break when licenses expire. Disabling ability to edit sections is fine but making them fail is not!

quinntinm

Apparently the following site editing will no longer be available or editable...

So if a client needs to edit the content, they CANNOT and in my humble opinion, the site IS BROKEN.

Site editing tools that will be discontinued:
Offsets
Cloning
Various options throughout
Professional Sections
PopThumbs
Callout
Masthead
Pricing
Rapid Tabs
StarBars
PageLines Link Credit Removed
Updates to Professional Features
Libraries and Effects
Animations
Transitions
Technical Support
Enhanced Performance and SEO
Additional Pro Services
300 Community Access
Special deals and invites

this means pay forever or use another system like Headway where they have a single once off fee.

I bought PL framework and assumed that the new DMS would continue the trend, but now i need t pay forever to have a editable site. You have your customers over a barrel which is really not cool.

quinntinm

I just got more concrete confirmation after i emailed them to confirm what could or could not be edited.

First they said:

Thanks for your email.

Your clients will still be able to edit site content. Only the Pro Features of DMS are not available without a license.
Kind Regards,
Martin

PageLines Experience Team
http://www.pagelines.com

Still confused i asked:
How do they edit the mastheads, callouts and professional sections if they
do not have access to them?
Unless I am missing something?

And they then said:

AUG 26, 2013  |  04:21PM PDT
James Blanchett replied:
Hi Quintin

Thanks for getting back to us,

Your clients won't be able to edit the settings of any pro sections once the key has been deactivated. However they will remain visible on the page.

Therefore, you can either set up an maintenance package with your client and go back on occasion and using your key make any changes, save then deactivate again. Or use sections from the store in place of these items where the settings will remain active permanently.

Kind Regards,

James Blanchett
Customer Support Team
http://www.pagelines.com

Which confirms that if you use PRO items and deactivate your licence, you will NOT HAVE ACCESS to them.

And that is a huge problem for me.

Why can DMS not be the same as PL framework - a once off fee, this monthly fee is not financially feasible.

Rob

Hi quinntinm can you tell me who said you cannot pay for your license on annual basis? Because you can, and save money doing so in the process.   If you look at http://www.pagelines.com/pricing/, you'll see you have two options for payment.  To change your method, just write to hello@pagelines.com and the team will help you change your billing cycle from monthly to annual.

nuovait

Wow, I'm having serious issues with this new business model for DMS. How do I convince my clients that they either have to: Start paying $96/year or keep hoping that I as the developer keep paying Pagelines so they can keep using (read editing) there site.

Why can't there be an option to pay a one time fee and keep at least the editing functions and of course remove the credit link.

I don't need them to be able to modify/add sections but they WILL need to be able to edit the content of them.

For the moment I will not use DMS for clients and keep using the 'old' pagelines and reconsider Headway/genesis.

I hope there will be a solution because I rather like DMS as matter of fact.

quinntinm

Well from my point of view i have the same issue.

I now have to charge the client that fee on a monthly basis over and above their hosting fee.

This means that it is not economically viable so i am moving to other frameworks.

Rob, monthly or annually is the same thing - it still an ongoing fee for the life of the site which is just not worth it in my opinion.

Rob

@quinntinm  That is a business decision you have to make and not a topic of discussion here.  This is a support forum, not intended to debate the pricing model that neither I nor my moderator colleagues created. If you have issues with the pricing model, and wish to address it with someone, you're free to write to our help desk.  I'm not going to get into a debate over company policies.  This conversation is strictly about policies and isn't about supporting the product.  I'm closing it because this is simply creating more non-technical issues.  Again, as Danny and I have said, this issue is dealt with by our help desk.