Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

margeaux7

Templates Function Does Not Work

margeaux7

I have a specific template called "Home Page Template." When I select another template and make a change to it, it alters the "Home Page Template". So, I deleted all but the home page template and created a new one called "Practicing." Any change I make to "Practicing" changes the "Home Page Template." I really need help on this. Otherwise I am going to have to re-build the site by tomorrow in Pagelines Framework.

http://66.147.244.90/~apecconf

margeaux7

I can not wait for assistance, so I am starting over with Pagelines Framework. Two weeks of work and a steep learning curve are now down the tubes.

Rob

TWENTY-TWO minutes you give us for an answer?  I'm sorry, but I have to answer almost 100 topics daily. Danny, too!

Margeaux, You posted this issue in a topic in which Danny explained there's a known issue reported about this.  Did you expect that in 22 minutes we'd have an answer?

As others have said, it's unwise to be rolling out customer projects without testing and fully reading the docs.  Why not just turn on v2 compatibility and move your client's site forward as if it's Framework?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

margeaux7

Oh dear. I did not mean I gave up because of 22 minutes. So sorry. You guys are so responsive.

I learned about the known issue, but no matter what I did, I could only really get one template to function and I needed more than one. I did not know I could turn on V2 compatabilty and move to Framework because that advice was not in the post. Instead I deleted DMS and basically started from scratch and am re-building in Framework.

I never roll out projects without testing. It was in testing when  I discovered the issues. In addition some issues didn't exist two days ago and popped up out of nowhere yesterday. I even deactivated plug-ins to see if it was me but I would create one template and then another. Whatever I did to the second template would impact the first. I had to cut my losses because I care about my client very much.

I have been diligent about reading the forum and regret I did not see the V2 thing. That would have saved a lot of time.

Rob

Margeaux,

We all have those days.  Its likely someone, somewhere pushed something yesterday or the day before that caused issues.  It could have been us fixing the APIs or WP pushing some updated Javascript.  I don't know and probably never will.

I'm sorry, truly, about your work.  I know you've read the docs, and thought you knew about the V2 compatibility.

jeomiland

Hi

Having the same issue. Is there a solution???

Have reviewed the online docs and a basic vid on YT, but still some basics are lacking. Why is my home page changing when I add sections to an entirely different page? I have a Home page all laid out the way I wish, then go to work on a new inner page and stuff I add to that new page shows up in the Home page??? I try to click the Sections-Local tab each time and edit from there, but it's frustrating that Sections-Global is the default.

So here's my question - what's the diff between sections local/global and how best to use them???

the inner pages have a whole different layout (and background) than the home.

Looked in the WP dashboard and both these pages have No Template assigned. Then you can choose from cryptically names Template-1, Template-2...

Where can I find documentation of a tutorial on use of templates/sections. Somehow I've got a glitch in my setup such that a new page (based on Default template?) causes additional sections to be added to my home page???

Have posted in #300 chat - noone there. Folks on Skype seem to be taking the weekend off...

Thanks for your help. Guess I'm the only one with this problem.

John-eriK

jeomiland

a little more...

The site being developed is at: http://westcoastfacemasks.com/BLOG/

On that home page, I have the header cleared and need a header area on the inner pages, ex: http://westcoastfacemasks.com/BLOG/facemask-products-pricing/  When I went to inner page to create header, it showed up on Home page. Delet it from home page and it disappears from inner page!? Have a template associated w/Home page and different w/inner pages. In normal WP dashboard, see unassigned as templat for each page and names like Template-1, etc as choices. Why don't the DMS named templates show uP?

Trying to implement what I have mocked out at: http://westcoastfacemasks.com/dev/  and  http://westcoastfacemasks.com/dev/facemask-products-pricing/index.htm

Note, I need No Header on home page and need a branding header w/Nav bar in header for other pages.

Thanks for your help!

jeomiland

Received some advise from the #300 Skype group. Remember that the Header is a global thing - anything done there gets migrated to all pages. To hide header on a page and have it shown on others, one must use CSS. One member suggested position:absolute; left -1000; to remove it from site, but if ya want to control SEO and not have that content for search engines to crawl on a specific page, be nice to just remove it instead of hide it.

Just the Template section of the edit window gets saved in your templates. But waht about the footer???

Danny
OK, I think what you're doing and correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you're adding sections to the global template area. Header and Footer are global templates, this means that anything you place on this template and configure will be visible throughout your site. If you change these sections on another template, it will also change it on your other templates, as they're global. However, I have reported to our tracker that users would like to ability to either have a global header or a dynamic one, meaning you can have different headers for different pages if you like. Another thing to remember when creating your templates is to save them once your changes have been made and then load that template on that page. Then go to your other page and do the same thing.

Please search our forums, before posting!

jeomiland

Hi Ninja

Appreciate your reply.

If header AND footer are indeed Global, then why do I have different footers on: http://westcoastfacemasks.com/BLOG/ and http://westcoastfacemasks.com/BLOG/facemask-reconditioning-process-faqs/ ???

thebastion

@jeoliland

Both header and footer have local functions but you can only adjust items inside of them, the reason your footer looks different is because you have simply added an <hr> into the TextBox area in local. DMS templates can handle this fine

But watch what happens if you remove the textbox from the footer on one of the pages.

jeomiland

Thanks Bastion...

But if Header has both local & global, can't ya use this to have a branding and navigation i the header of some pages and not on others? Maybe have NONE in the global, then have the branding/nav in the others?

thebastion
Its a bug or lack of functionality that they are aware of.

Try it yourself, the moment you remove that nav in the header it will vanish from them all.

margeaux7

Still anxious to get back to DMS but can't find answer to why when one template is created and then a second, that the changes in the second impact the first.

I understand that the header and the footer are global. I am speaking about template 1 having a quickslider, boxes and content (not in the header or footer).

Then using template 1 as the "base", removing the quickslider, boxes and content and saving it as template 2. So template 2 is just content and maybe two side bars.

But when I open template 1 it is now identical to the template 2 (missing the quickslider and boxes) so now I have two templates that are identical.

Could it be that the template 2 needs to be saved before making edits? That the "save as" mentality is a little different in DMS?

Rob

Margeaux

The template picks up the layout of the page you're on if you're editing a page/post/category, etc. when you create a template.  You can save the template, but then, you need to move to something else to create a new template or the second template just picks up the first and assumes you want to apply it.  That's what I'm experiencing.  So, all I do to resolve this is navigate my browser to the next thing I want to apply a template to, make my edits, and save the template with a new one.  That said, if it's a page, you can go to Dashboard > Pages > All Pages, find the page you're trying to apply a template to, and assign it there.  If one is made by mistake, just reassign it in the same place so you don't get your templates mixed up. 

I hope this helps.

margeaux7

Rob thank you very much. This is extremely helpful. My "save as" mentality completely tripped me up. Appreciate your time, talents and patience.

Best regards,

Rob

Margeaux anytime!