Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

svetzal

Licensing Questions for DMS

svetzal

ACK DMS, I meant DMS lol

I've been on Pagelines Pro for a while, and am now ready to start migrating a couple sites over to DMS.

I want to create a staging site for the migration, do the work, and then move that site to the production URL.

How does licensing work now? I used to have Pro, but now I'm limited to 6 activations. I don't want to activate the staging site, and then have to waste a second activation on the production site when it goes live.

Also, I expect before long I'll be wanting to upgrade to the developer license, but can't find a way to do this through My Account. Can Pagelines folks do this for me, or do I have to cancel my old subscription and create a new one? If I have to cancel my old subscription, what happens to the activations I made with it? Do I have to go back to those sites and re-activate them?

-Stacey

Rob

Stacey,

If you have 6 sites to work with, and activate a staging site, then migrate it to an active site, simply remove the staging site and you're back to one, not two.  We're monitoring how many active licenses are associated with websites, staging or active.  If we can't find the staging site, since it's deleted, we're not going hold that against you.  If there's a problem, you can always write to hello@pagelines.com and our billing office can adjust the license activations to remove a deleted staging site.

Candidly, my expertise with licensing is not sufficient to give you the best answer.  You should seek an answer from our billing/accounts department at the email address above.   We pretty much handle only the technical support stuff here. 

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

svetzal

If you have 6 sites to work with, and activate a staging site, then migrate it to an active site, simply remove the staging site and you're back to one, not two.  We're monitoring how many active licenses are associated with websites, staging or active.  If we can't find the staging site, since it's deleted, we're not going hold that against you.  If there's a problem, you can always write to hello@pagelines.com and our billing office can adjust the license activations to remove a deleted staging site.

Excellent, thanks Rob. I will email hello@ and engage them there. If I can remove activations myself, that's perfect.

svetzal

So how does licensing work, from a technical perspective? Is it bound to the URL? Is it a key stored within the site's database?

If it's stored in the database, it'll just follow the install and my question is silly. If it's tied to the URL, it will definitely have to be managed.

Rob

I have no idea where it's installed but we're able to validate where it's located and how many uses it is getting.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur