Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

janpeeters

Textbox section gets default content

janpeeters

I places social network icons in a text box in the footer of my site http://www.janpeeters.nl. Strangely enough after that the icons shows up every time I place a text box anywhere else. When I put new content in it en save/publish it my site removes the 'default' content with the new content.

I would love to know how this 'memory' of content works. It feels like a bug but maybe it's a feature I don't understand.

Thanks, Jan

nfp1900

It's not a feature because if you edit the text box you don't actually see any html/copy in there. As soon as you save anything in the new textbox this content goes away. 

The mediabox does the same. It did throw me at first but you learn to ignore it

Rob

The system clones the section from one place to another. You can click the Clone link in the section tools (at the top of the section on mouse over) to clone it manually, or drag and drop it again from Add Sections.  You then edit the cloned copy of the section to add the content you want in that clone.  Until you do, it will display the last information added to it.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

arlomiller

I was having the same problem.  Every time I added a Text Box from Add Sections, I got some default images in it that I added to a text box once upon a time.  ons?

I deleted the images and made the text box totally blank again.  Then clicked on clone.  That gave me an empty text box.  But then when I went to Add Sections and tried adding one again, the pesky images were back.

Then, I realized that the images were from a Text Box that I inserted into the footer and thought, hmm, it seems like its doing something global.

VOILA!!

When I looked at the text box in my footer, I had inserted html code for the images into the Global Settings.  Once I moved that over to the Local Settings, I am now able to get a plain Text Box again when adding one from Sections.  

Lesson for me:  Beware Global Settings!  They only showed up for Text Box when I put it into the footer, so I'd sort of forgotten about them.

But, now i've found a new problem, removing those global settings from my footer text boxes is now forcing me to go through and add code to the footer boxes on all my other pages.  

Is there something wrong with the way global settings are working? Or am I not understanding how they work?

janpeeters

Hi Arlo and Rob,

Aha then maybe I don't get the concept of local and global. Can you explain Rob (or Danny)?

Thanks, Jan

edit: just did some more testing, and when I place content in locally in the footer it only shows on that specific page and not all pages with that footer.

Danny

Hi,

If you add HTML to a textbox i.e. HTML for an image. When you add a new TextBox the new TextBox will display this HTML. There isn't anything to worry about, simply click on the edit icon (pencil) and add your code/image etc.. and that TextBox will display this content and shouldn't effect the other textboxes.

If you find that the new TextBox displaying the previous TextBox image/code is confusing, let me know and I report it as a minor bug.

Please search our forums, before posting!

janpeeters

Hi Danny,

for me this is confusing, the more because the code itself isn't visible in Editor for that newly placed text box. I wouldn't mind having an empty text box every time and maybe add a feature in a later version of DMS in which you can create templates for sections with default content.

Thanks, Jan

Rob

Jan,

The auto-clone method helps people who seek to clone things, but also helps you to see that you have two sections duplicated.  Moreover, it avoids a previous problem in which people cloned or added sections without content in them, then discovered big blank spaces they couldn't find.

janpeeters

Hi Rob, 

not to be a wise @ss, but the text box always show text at least in my version, even when empty. Something like <text box, add text>. I would think that would be enough to prevent the problem you mention.

If you choose to keep the pre-filled clone behaviour then I would suggest to also pre-fill the fields in the DMS editor. Otherwise it looks like magical content just appears and people have no idea where it comes from. But how often does someone want to have the same content again? But maybe I'm overseeing something.

Thanks anyway for the clarification.

Jan

Danny

Jan,

I hear you and have reported it. So you want it so that whenever, you add a new textbox to a template it simply contains the Text Box  Add Text info instead of the code or text used in your previous textbox.

Please search our forums, before posting!

janpeeters

Hi Danny,

yeah for me that would be most logical. But others might like differently. For those I would suggest making a 'template'sections feature in a future DMS.

Best and thanks, Jan

arlomiller

I agree with janpeeters.  It confused the heck out of me.  I was like "why does that stupid href keep coming back", "why won't that href freaking die already".  I get annoyed having to edit it away each time and would like to start from scratch.  

Rob

I'm not saying you're making this mistake -- anyone here, that is, but many have made the mistake of clicking "refresh" before Publishing, which makes things come back.  If you refresh, and then Publish, the thing one tries to remove comes right back.  I've reported this too and it should be fixed in the next revision.

The autocloning confused the blooming heck out of me a few times at first till I realized, all I need to do was add my content to the clone, and it overwrites the cloned content on publishing.

CoachJo

I don't think people are hitting refresh before publish:  I know I'm not.  However, often when I hit publish, it goes into refresh mode automatically and right away.  It then can hang forever.  When I'm lucky, it eventually shows the refresh symbol.  When I'm not, I have to leave the page and the changes usually aren't made.

thebastion

Personally I could completely do without the publish button at all if save did everything im happy with that, you can always press the revert button if you dont like it? It seems like a step too many for me.