This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Create Custom Page Template for Child Theme

4 posts in this topic

I created a custom post type for books. And I use the Advanced Custom Fields plugin (and its Flexible Content Field add-on) created many meta boxes for this custom type. How can I create page template to display all the meta boxes? 

I checked the single.php file in DMS, but there is nothing there. Can I just create a single-books.php in my child theme? What should I put in the this file? 

Thank you very much for the help.

I would also be interested in this. Along with a way to page a video page etc that have post type settings

Good question.  I think the answer is that you may need a pro developer to deal with custom post types. If it's not in the docs, we don't know the answers yet. I've no idea how to create the template for these custom post types.

leopold"] @[member="bfrye26 , you can't use the inbuilt templates and any PHP template you create will not show up in the post/page dropdown. So...

• You create your books.php file and place it in your child theme as per usual. Then you need to create a new page and template, lets call it Books and save it.
  • Create a new widget area in the WP admin and assign it whatever name (books).
  • Drag a text widget in (you need to enable php text, google it) and in there call your books.php with <?php get_template_part( 'books' );
  • In Visual editor add a Widgetizer and assign your widget you just created above.

Thats it...

As for what to put in your books.php then thats up to you and it will require php, html and css knowledge.

Good luck.

• Similar Content

• Custom Page Template not showing up in Page Options
      By starlen
      Hi - 

I've switched over to using the Base Child Theme, after reading about setting up a custom page template here:
      However, the template doesn't show up in Page Options for me to configure via Drag-n-Drop. Following along with other forum problems of a similar bent, I tried deactivating all plugins, and my page is called page.home.php (no dashes or extraneous characters), and it still doesn't show up.

I've set debug mode on, if that helps.
      I am in WP 3.5.1 and using the most current version of the Pagelines Framework.
    • Custom Page Template Help
      By arlomiller
      I'd like to create a custom page template that removes all of the content and allows me to just display comments on that page, I'd also like to modify what the comment text says, so instead of 'leave a reply' i'd like "leave a testimonial' etc. I've created a custom page type in my child theme however all that is in there is. setup_pagelines_template(); Where and how do i access what I need in order to modify what content shows?