Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hansonexperience

Short category and taglist in standard columnizer: howto?

Rob

You can modify the content of these areas by editing the area, clicking Widgetize and then using widgets such as the Categories (you should have options there), tags, not sure if that may be customized, the blogroll (links), etc. All of these are typical WordPress widgets.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

hansonexperience

You can modify the content of these areas by editing the area, clicking Widgetize and then using widgets such as the Categories (you should have options there), tags, not sure if that may be customized, the blogroll (links), etc. All of these are typical WordPress widgets.

Rob

I know these widgets but the category widget cannot be customized. That's the reason I asked. When I put the columnizer section on my blog it picks just some categories. I am wondering how this can be done.

Rob

One way of doing that is to manually create an additional blogroll and customize it with only your category links.  Add a blogroll in place of Categories, and select the category list blogroll. 

hansonexperience

One way of doing that is to manually create an additional blogroll and customize it with only your category links.  Add a blogroll in place of Categories, and select the category list blogroll. 

Ah that's a nice tip! Thx

hansonexperience

Rob but how can I get the same style as used in the standard columnizer? If I make new widget they have different styles. I want it like the standard one, so with a title in bold and the social media things

Rob

Since you're adding it manually, it should have some CSS attached to it. Inspect it in Firefox with Firebug.  Find the CSS elements, test them and copy your changed code from Firebug to the Custom Code section, where you just paste it.  Publish and refresh.

View it in Firefox and IE to see how it looks.

hansonexperience

I copied and pasted the code right away in a textbox ande edited it.

Rob

I'm sorry, I'm possibly not explaining this correctly.

In Firebug for Firefox you can see the CSS that makes any element of your site look as it does. You can find that CSS, but also you can change it there in FIrebug. 

So, if you see something (Just an example, do not use) like:

#header {
background: #C00000;
}

You can change it to

#header  {
background: red;
height 3em;
color: yellow;
font-size: 2em;
text-decoration: italic;
}

That would make the background change from dark red to bright red, set the height, font color to yellow, and the size and look of the font used. 

So, once you've tested these changes in the sandbox (the right side where the CSS displays, you can copy that changed code and in DMS, click Custom Code on the toolbar.

Then, you can paste the changed code and publish or save.

This is going to be very helpful. http://docs.pagelines.com/customize/overriding-default-css