Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jeremya

DMS Freezing Website? Lost Connection?

jeremya

I am having some issues with DMS. I am working along just fine, then for no reason my internet connection appears to be disconnected, but for my my domain only. Other chrome windows appear to function just fine and can connect to any webpage? It was happening periodically and progressively increased until I could no longer connect to my domain. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!  

chrisayers

I have been seeing this a lot since I switched to DMS as well. It happens most when uploading images. My site goes no-responsive for a several minutes. This happens on multiple sites but all hosted with Godaddy.  Would like to hear more on this issue.

jeremya

I have been seeing this a lot since I switched to DMS as well. It happens most when uploading images. My site goes no-responsive for a several minutes. This happens on multiple sites but all hosted with Godaddy.  Would like to hear more on this issue.

yes it definitely happens when uploading images. 

jeremya

i can't update anything now? what the heck?

Rob

Do you have a plugin that speeds up the Web?

Here's what to do to debug this:

Enable web tools in Chrome
Click 'console'
Try to upload and image, you'll then read a slew of errors.

I suspect that Ajax, necessary for uploads, is being broken by the plugin or by some browser add-on.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

chrisayers

Tried that and not seeing any errors cause page never will reload it just freezes. I just started a fresh sandbox site with no extra plugins. Site worked fine and fast. Installed DMS and now wont load after almost any update to a page. This only happens on certain sites at certain times. I am leaning towards the shared databases on godaddy rather than DMS as culprit but even so this is a big enough issue and a huge amount of people use godaddy for their hosting.

Danny
Hi, If you have disabled all active plugins and the issue persists, then it is most likely server related. jeremya - Can you provide a link to the site in question please, so I can check something. chrisayers - Your sandbox site is located on a server that houses over 1000 websites, this is not good. From this I can say you're using shared hosting, which is very poor for performance, which I believe may be the cause of your issues. I highly recommend you either contact your web host provider and ask them to move your site to a less populated server or (what I would do) is switch host completely to one of the following: FlyWheel ZIppyKid WP Engine

Please search our forums, before posting!

chrisayers

I was betting on the shared hosting issue not DMS since it does not occur on some sites only others. It is however rather frustrating and slows my time down. Most of my clients use godaddy and I do not have a dedicated box yet.... Guess that is next step.

Danny

The big problem is these cheap web hosting packages, users who want to have a web little place on the internet will pick the cheapeast option thinking it will be OK. However, with web hosting you most certainly get what you pay for. If I was you, I would recommend you contact FlyWheel, they have a number of good options for devs, such as building demo websites.

Then pass FlyWheel onto your clients.

http://getflywheel.com/

Please search our forums, before posting!

chrisayers

Yes but a double edge sword. I live in an area of the country where many small business owners are elderly and non technical. They buy products based on implied trust. When I am trying to tell a 62 year old guy he need to go to somewhere and purchase his name and hosting package so I can build his website he has no earthly idea what the hell a flywheel is and who they are. Then I take him to this website and he looks at the website and he sees that it is all in testing mode right now and that they seem like a new company. He starts to not trust me or the deal I am making him. Then I say well we can always use Godaddy. His eyes light up. He has heard that name a lot. He has probable thought a naughty thought about Danica. He watches NASCAR. Suddenly I have a web deal moving again and I can pay my rent this month.  Is your product much better than theirs? I would probably say so. But people are idiots and would rather have a five dollar "hot and ready" than a hand prepared pie.

Rob

Chris,

I'd just say to your clients "The technology has gone from Grandpa's Packard to your grandson's Ferrari. It got faster, bigger, better, so it needs a bigger garage to house it.  I'll be happy to help you migrate everything."  

You may, if you have enough clients, want to get a dedicated server, and host their sites for them. Dedi's are so, so much cheaper these days.  You can even get a reasonable size one for as low as $59 a month, which was what I used to pay for VPS, 17 years ago.  Now I use a dedi for 159 a month, but then I have one of the biggest food & bev sites online.  You might find it much easier, better and less expensive than being in a cheaper hosting plan that breaks.  DMS needs at least 40Mb of memory for PHP processing, and most shared plans have less.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur