Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

protech

Submenu items for most navigation menus not working on mobile

protech

I have tried the navbar, heronav, and navable...and all of them are having a problem displaying submenus, when you click on the top level menu item it is not showing the submenu on mobile devices.

Rob

Hi,

It's not supposed to display submenus on a mobile device. You need special plugins to do that.  Most responsive designs however, limit the menu in mobile to top level only, or the fonts will shrink so small in the menu that the child items and potentially even the parent would be hard to see in mobile view.

One way to control that with DMS is to create a second menu for each parent level, and apply it in a sidebar using Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets and the Custom Menu selection, along with Widget Logic plugin.  This way, when a visitor reaches one of your parent level items on a mobile device, they will see the submenu in the sidebar and can proceed to use those.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

janpeeters

Hi Rob,

Sometimes a parent page isn't a physical page, only a gathering place in the menu for the subpages, so the solution is not so handy. Why not show the subpages indented in the same menu?

There are more issues with the mobile menu: it is positioned in the wrong place in Chrome and iOS. It runs through my Masthead section. In Firefox it's okay. Could be an error on my side but I haven't found what that could be.

Thanks, Jan

www.janpeeters.nl

Danny
HI, I am unable to view your site as you appear to have an issue where the Masthead section is trying to work from PageLines Framework?

Please search our forums, before posting!

janpeeters

Hi Danny,

thanks for reporting. Don't know what was causing the PHP error. The page looked fine when logged in but garbled when logged out. I solved it by recreating the Masthead in it's own section instead of the same section as where the Flipper was in.

Happily this also solved he wrongly positioned mobile menu.

Is it really necesarry to place a section first and then the masthead? Or can it be a bug?

My suggestion for the child pages remains. Would be great if that could be done with indented links or some other nice trick.

Thanks, Jan

Danny

The error was related to the Masthead section in your /pagelines folder not sure why it was calling the Masthead section in your /pagelines folder when you're using DMS.

I have Masthead, Flipper and iBox sections in one area and have no issue.

http://cl.ly/image/19430O3Z2H2t

So I am not sure what that issue was related to, have you added any custom code at all ?

Regarding your NavBar/parent item issue, this is by design. The NavBar and the other sections you mention are based on Bootstraps navigation design. This means that all sub menus are activated via click instead of hover, therefore to achieve this, the parent item becomes an anchor and is no longer a link.

This design will not change as we didn't design it. However, if you want to have a drop down menu, you can use the Classic Navigation by installing this Legacy plugin which contains all the old sections from PageLines Framework.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/td816ccbrbg0xjk/pagelines-legacy-sections.zip

If you have an issue with the NavBar design, you will need to complain to the Bootstrap devs. However, I'm afraid its only going to get worse with Bootstrap as with version 3, they're removing all support for sub menus/drop downs. 

Please search our forums, before posting!

janpeeters

Hi Danny,

No idea why my masthead calls to a non active folder. I'm using DMS with Nicks base theme.

I'll do more testing with more then one items in a section.

Thanks for explaining about the navigation, I read a post by Nick about Bootstrap 3 :-(

The legacy plugins, will they be draggable from my sections in DMs or how does this work?

Thanks, Jan

protech

I'm surprised by the answers to this thread, all of the menus worked on mobile before....so to me there must be a bug that is preventing the display of submenu items. I use top level menu items as placeholders so people will click on the submenu items. navbar, heronav, and navable are simply not working correctly on mobile for a submenu item to display, it used to allow you to click a top level menu item and then it would expand...well it's not working now. Big problem in my mind.

Rob

Now that the section has been made public, Ubermenu might provide your solution. I use it and have complete parent/ child menus in mobile view.  See http://dev.epicurus.com on your mobile device.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur