Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Disable responsive layout DMS

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Hi, is there any way to disable the responsive layout on DMS? I read about Enable v2 Compatibility Mode?

however my site isn't an update from v2. 

Why is this option not available in DMS? 

Kind regards,

Willem

I write about internet marketing, WordPress and Pagelines on my Dutch blog spoelstra.ws

Rob

Willem,

DMS is designed to be specifically responsive on mobile devices.  It would be self-defeating for us to make DMS non-responsive.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

So I'm not free to choose anymore like I used to in V2? Why was it not 'self-defeating' in V2 of Pagelines and it is with DMS?

This is up to the designer, even Twitter Bootstrap you have to 'enable' it, they don't force responsive websites. 

Responsiveness is an opinion, not a must. It should really be up to me.

Besides that, when I look at my DMS website

caesarsbeauty.nl

on mobile, it loads like a normal website (not responsive).  However, when I make my PC browser smaller, it does act responsive. So I'm totally lost here.

Kind regards,

Willem

I write about internet marketing, WordPress and Pagelines on my Dutch blog spoelstra.ws

Danny

Not sure what is causing that but it could be related to your custom CSS? Also have you enabled v2 Compatibility and disable it there ?

In regards to disabling responsive design, If you feel that there should be an option to allow the design to choose, then create an issue on the DMS tracker.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Hi Danny,

Ofcourse I feel like there should be an option to allow responsive or not, I have Pagelines V2 websites which I didn't build responsive for a good reason. 

Did DMS really made the choice to ONLY be responsive like Rob told me?

DMS is designed to be specifically responsive on mobile devices'.

Let's take 

caesarsbeauty.nl

as an example. This is actually build on Pagelines V2 first, and I really expected that at least DMS should have the same options to Disable responsiveness.

I found out why this site is not responsive on mobile devices. I had nothing to do with my custom CSS/LESS. But on the old Pagelines V2 site the box 'disable mobile view' was still checked.

So, when I enabled v2 compatibility and unchecked this, then the site is responsive again.

However, I don't want the site to be responsive, so I leave this option checked. BIG problem here: on the normal computer when you make the browser window smaller, the site still is responsive.

I'm afraid this is now going to cause me big problem since I have to deliver this website to my client in a short period, but it looks like there is not good solution to disable responsiveness that work on mobile AND browser.

I really hope you have a solution for this problem, v2 Compatibility just ins't working how it should be.

PS: I also tested this same scenario on a fresh DMS install, I even rebuild this site on it to match everything, exactly the same happens, still responsive in browser.

Kind regards,

Willem

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Hi Danny,

Did you maybe found a solution for my previous post, getting a little bit nervous if I can finish my project with DMS :-(. 

What I think would be the ultimate freedom in DMS:

Choose for:

- fixed width layout (pixels);

- fluid width layout (percentages);

Option for both fixed width and fluid width design:

- enable responsive design (mediaqueries).

That is covering everybody needs right?

Kind regards,

Willem

Rob

Willem,

I totally understand your frustrations, but arguing this point is pointless.  Neither Danny nor I are the designers,developers or coders involved with the creation of DMS. 

The option to Disable Mobile View in DMS is not as easy as you might think. For one thing, disabling will terminate media query CSS, so every image will either fail to show or, will be corrupted. If we provided that option, our developers tell me, all sites using the option would be text only, no graphics.  Since no one wants a text site today and graphics are so important, they decided not to include this option.

Continued debate is not going to change this as our developers will not modify it.  DMS is designed to be, intended to be and will remain mobile responsive.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur