Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

micstepl

Template Documentation - seem incomplete

micstepl

The documentation http://docs.pagelines.com/configure/using-templates seems not sufficient, as you can see from users questions (but no answers, as always the same link mentioned)

Please could you provide a complete documentation covering

(1) What do the section options mean and how do they affect what (This in relation to templates) ?

• section option >global<
  • section option >local<
  • section cloaning (in relation to their "global" aspects)

(2) What does exactly happen @ template options (in all page/post relations)
Please explain each action (systematics) in detail in relation to the whole environment.

• Load Template
  • Update Template With Current Configuration
  • Set As Page Global Default
  • Delete This Template

(3) Does a template (in relation to point 1+2)  ... 

• belong to ALL posts/pages, once "loaded" for one post/pages?
    • whow can one post/page be designed differently ?
    • what happens when in each of the above mentioned "Actions" are applied?
  • can ALL Sections be added
    • to all pages? 
    • to all posts?
    • to a front page?
      • if not, what are the exceptions?
  • Where is the content + options (data)
    • stored for sections (global  + local) of a template 
    • what are the exact scenarios
      • when this content/options is could be lost
      • in relation to above mentioned "Actions", each
    • where is data stored, when there is not page/post as basis 

Please explain all "Templates", their "Actions" and "Section  elements" in ralation all core Wordpress elements. This in relation to functionality and data storage. Please be aware that I am asking for user documentation (not data models)

best regards

,Michael

seanocaside21

Hi Michael,

Exactly what i was trying to say..... Lets hope we get a solution!

Started off very positive but how quickly my mood has changed. 

beardedavenger

i can help.

(1) What do the section options mean and how do they affect what (This in relation to templates) ?

• section option >local<

A: Global is site wide, local is per page. You can something like a class globally, then add a new class only locally. or, you can set a area background theme one way globally, and change it per page. This goes for sections too. PopTHumbs for example .Globally, maybe you want 4. But per page, locally, you can have different screenshots  vs globally. This has no relation to templates, it's just a scope.

(2) What does exactly happen @ template options (in all page/post relations)
Please explain each action (systematics) in detail in relation to the whole environment.

• Load Template
  • Update Template With Current Configuration
  • Delete This Template

A: When you are on a page, you can save that pages configuration. Say you make a page, and you save teh new template. Then, you make more changes, and you then you'd "Update template with current configuration" to update the template. Set as Page Global Default, means set this on every type of this page. this works for single posts, and custom post types. Delete this template, deletes it completely. 

(3) Does a template (in relation to point 1+2)  ... 

• to all pages? 
    • to all posts?
    • to a front page?
    • stored for sections (global  + local) of a template

Please explain all "Templates", their "Actions" and "Section  elements" in ralation all core Wordpress elements. This in relation to functionality and data storage. Please be aware that I am asking for user documentation (not data models)

A: Should kinda be answered above. Here's the trick with single posts, and custom post types. When you are on a single post, and you make teh design different. say maybe you make it only 1 column. Then, you'd save that single post template. Next, you apply this template, to that single post. When you refresh, you will see a thumbtack symbol that will show you, this is indeed teh default now for all posts, or single post types.

It goes deeper than this. 

Within each post, single post, or custom post type, you have global, and local scopes across all sections, even those outside of header and footer. So you can essentially build a template, apply it globally across all single custom post types, then go through and change the information for each single post type, using local scope.

The templates themselves, I describe them as "pseudo" templates. They aren't actual wordpress templates in that sense that they do not produce an actual physcal template.

Anwyays, I know this stuff like the back of my hand and can do stuff with my eyes closed cause of magical unicorn powers so if there's any questions just lemme know. Will try to check this often.

Something big is coming for DMS + photographers.

http://fotostheme.com

Nick Haskins & CO - New home for all of my PageLines Store products! 

http://nickhaskins.co

Better DMS - News, Tutorials, and Tips

http://betterdms.com

seanocaside21

i can help.

(1) What do the section options mean and how do they affect what (This in relation to templates) ?

• section option >local<

A: Global is site wide, local is per page. You can something like a class globally, then add a new class only locally. or, you can set a area background theme one way globally, and change it per page. This goes for sections too. PopTHumbs for example .Globally, maybe you want 4. But per page, locally, you can have different screenshots  vs globally. This has no relation to templates, it's just a scope.

(2) What does exactly happen @ template options (in all page/post relations)

• Load Template
  • Update Template With Current Configuration
  • Delete This Template

A: When you are on a page, you can save that pages configuration. Say you make a page, and you save teh new template. Then, you make more changes, and you then you'd "Update template with current configuration" to update the template. Set as Page Global Default, means set this on every type of this page. this works for single posts, and custom post types. Delete this template, deletes it completely. 

(3) Does a template (in relation to point 1+2)  ... 

• to all pages? 
    • to all posts?
    • to a front page?
    • stored for sections (global  + local) of a template

A: Should kinda be answered above. Here's the trick with single posts, and custom post types. When you are on a single post, and you make teh design different. say maybe you make it only 1 column. Then, you'd save that single post template. Next, you apply this template, to that single post. When you refresh, you will see a thumbtack symbol that will show you, this is indeed teh default now for all posts, or single post types.

It goes deeper than this. 

Within each post, single post, or custom post type, you have global, and local scopes across all sections, even those outside of header and footer. So you can essentially build a template, apply it globally across all single custom post types, then go through and change the information for each single post type, using local scope.

The templates themselves, I describe them as "pseudo" templates. They aren't actual wordpress templates in that sense that they do not produce an actual physcal template.

Anwyays, I know this stuff like the back of my hand and can do stuff with my eyes closed cause of magical unicorn powers so if there's any questions just lemme know. Will try to check this often.

Thanks for the info above...

I think i have a fair idea of how the templates work now. However that just confirms that i have something else wrong. 

My problem remains:

1. I design my home page and everything is working great. I then make a template (Home Page) and update it with the current configuration.
  2. Next i make an about page. Remove some things like the Revslider and other home page items. I then save a new template and update it with current configuration. 
  3. When i revert back to my Home page everything i removed from the about page is now also missing from the Home Page. 

Very frustrating as you can imagine. It is as if the templates aren't applying to the individual pages. 

Anyway if you can offer any help i would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Sean. 

beardedavenger
  1. I design my home page and everything is working great. I then make a template (Home Page) and update it with the current configuration.

perfect

1. Next i make an about page. Remove some things like the Revslider and other home page items. I then save a new template and update it with current configuration. 

you make an about page, and you "remove some things like revslider and other home page items". If you're on the about page, how are you removing home page items? So, assuming this is a type, you then save the new template ,called about page. Now you have 2 templates. Home page, and about page.

1. When i revert back to my Home page everything i removed from the about page is now also missing from the Home Page. 

the only way this is possible, is if you updated the current configuration of the home page template

You have the right idea, but I think you accidentally clicked something maybe?

Something big is coming for DMS + photographers.

http://fotostheme.com

Nick Haskins & CO - New home for all of my PageLines Store products! 

http://nickhaskins.co

Better DMS - News, Tutorials, and Tips

http://betterdms.com

seanocaside21

Ok Ill give it a try....

Im starting to think it is a server issue (maybe its paranoia!!) reason i say is that i am working on a clients site and i am trying out a new host and everything is working smooth. 

Its my own test / playground site that is causing the problems.

Anyway i appreciate the prompt reply :) 

Thanks,

Seán

Danny

@Nickolass

Thanks for the helping hand, appreciate it :P

micstepl

I wouldn't say they were incomplete, I just assumed that the concept of local and global was self explanatory. However, you're correct that the number of users asking the difference between, obviously points to the documentation not doing it's job.

So I have made a note of this and will provide more information for the templates documentation and thank for the feedback, its most welcome.

In future, would it be possible for you or any users reading this topic, to posts any issues or requests for the DMS documentation in the docs issues tracker via GitHub. As I will be notified right away.

https://github.com/pagelines/Docs/issues

Please search our forums, before posting!

miramax

So, is it possible to change the layout of an individual post (by applying a template) without changing ALL posts to that new template?  If so, how is that done?

miramax

thebastion, thanks, but it's not really the same thing. I understand how to adjust section options at a local level, but it seems that template choices for Posts apply across all posts.  That is to say, if you choose a template for a single post, that template is applied to all posts.  That makes it impossible to have some posts that are full-width and others that are split with a sidebar.  

In Pagelines Framework, there was a simple layout choice option that applied to individual posts (image below).  That doesn't appear to be available with DMS, unless I'm missing something

post-31567-0-12510600-1376943391.png

micstepl

thebastion, thanks, but it's not really the same thing. I understand how to adjust section options at a local level, but it seems that template choices for Posts apply across all posts.  That is to say, if you choose a template for a single post, that template is applied to all posts.  That makes it impossible to have some posts that are full-width and others that are split with a sidebar.  

In Pagelines Framework, there was a simple layout choice option that applied to individual posts (image below).  That doesn't appear to be available with DMS, unless I'm missing something

post-31567-0-12510600-1376943391.png

you are absolutely correct - as I understand 

micstepl

as I understood until now:

for pages = it´s individual handling

- 1 template by page

for posts = global handling

- 1 template > changes all posts

miramax

Bummer.  Our editors used the post layout feature all the time.  Not having it is going to make DMS migration a tough sell.

If the Pagelines dev team is on this thread, we'd like to add a feature request to the queue: Allow users to assign templates to individual posts without affecting other posts.

Hopefully the DMS data structure can support that.

thebastion

Hmmm yeah, I have never used Pagelines but I can see that being a major bonus.

For some reason the "type" and "local" pretty much do the same thing when on posts.

"local" = You can edit the content of a section differently but you cant add or remove a section without it affecting the other post types even if you save them as templates.

"type" = You affect every post with whatever you do.

I guess you just have to do a custom post type now then?

thebastion

miramax @ micstepl, I dont know if this helps but it seems like if you make a custom post type then a certain style will stick to that particular type and not the other.

For example:

Normal post type

Custom post type

I guess thats the only way?

miramax

Yeah, unfortunately we already have a blog running Pagelines Framework with thousands of posts, so we were hoping for a smooth migration without having to modify any low level data (e.g., converting regular posts into a custom post type and other workarounds like that).  

barkingsheltie

I actually have work that is totally un-related to web design, and likely would require magical unicorn powers! 

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool"
Richard P. Feynman

micstepl

miramax @ micstepl, I dont know if this helps but it seems like if you make a custom post type then a certain style will stick to that particular type and not the other.

For example:

Normal post type

Custom post type

For example:

Normal post type

Custom post type

thx first, custom post types seem to be the solution.

2 questions

- what custom post type plugin are you using / are you?

- in your "CPT example" - What is the flip section you are using?

br

,Michael

thebastion

micstepl Sorry I didnt see your reply, to answer both your questions:

I'm not using any off the shelf plugins I have built them myself.