Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pehja

DMS and mobile?

pehja

Hi!

I have read that DMS is mobile ready. But how do I disable the ugly mobile look in iPhone. I don't want the simple ugly look. I want it to be like a normal browser. Please advice.

Thanks!

Professionell musician | Webbdesigner | Apple freak

Pehja Production.png

Rob

Peter,  I don't have an iPhone. Do you have a way of adding a screenshot so I can see what you're seeing?

This may be of help.   You can use the same Browser Specific Plugin you used in Framework. Simply add it to your wp-content/plugins folder, then browse to your admin area's Plugins > Installed Plugins and activate it.

http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/browser-specific-css

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

pehja

Hi Rop, surly you have one person that you know have an iPhone ;)

bild.png

Ops that was one big iPhone ;)

But anyways, the plug you are refering to doesn't help in this matter or will it. In PageLine V2 there was a setting to disable mobile view. Thanks for taking the time for all my stupid questions. But hopefully there are more people that can take advantage of them.

Best Peter

Pehja Production.png

Danny

So you want to completely disable mobile support and have your site non-responsive ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

Erwan

So you want to completely disable mobile support and have your site non-responsive ?

Danny

Hope you won't consider my comment a hijack of the thread  ;) I was about to post a topic exactly on the same matter, so I comment here.

For me,  I'm afraid the answer is obviously yes atm. I of course frequently disabled the mobile view in v2 and will have to use PageLines mobile CSS classes to reach the same goal in v3 and/or change many layouts & page setups.

Why?

Because some DMS / Bootstrap grid basic features are not responsive at all on iPhone/Android/etc.

A simple "2 Columns - Split" layout section, whatever the area (header/content/footer), whatever the content in columns (text, media), does not display the two columns on the same line: OK on iPad, not on iPhone.

For instance, your (awesome) tutorial for creating a branding area (2 columns, MediaBox + TextBox) renders something awful for a iPhone reader.

I can provide 
self-explanatory screenshots, but I think what I wrote is unfortunately clear for tons of users...

pehja

Yes Danny I would. Most smartphones can handle any website perfectly.

Pehja Production.png

Rob

I've asked our developers about this and they're aware of your requests.

DMS was designed specifically to be mobile ready and fully responsive.  While browsers can view a website, functionality is often broken, and menus appear so small that the visitor to your site will likely be directed to an incorrect location, even using a stylus to point and click.

We determined the best course of action was to make everything mobile responsive. Thus there is no setting to disable mobile view.  Whether the developers will consider a modification or a 3rd party developer will offer some solution is unfortunately, unknown.

Presently, our developers are busy restoring systems, plugins, sections, etc and working on back-end systems to improve the customer experience.  Apologies, but this is not likely to be any rushed item on their agendas.

Rob

Okay, here's the feedback from the developers.

The addition of a Disable Mobile View option would result in the disabling of media query CSS, effectively ruining your site by stopping or distorting images in appearance.  I'm told if that option were enabled, you'd pretty much have a text-only website.  Since no one wants such a design, we've elected to leave that option out and will not add it now or in future.

I regret their decision understanding your perspective, but understand as well, that having a mobile view should not be problematic considering that mobile view can be modified by browser specific css (found in the docs).

There is no point in debating this further as that was their final word.

pehja

Sorry to hear, but understood.

Pehja Production.png

Erwan

@Rob I fully understand too.

As I already mentioned, I'll use browser / devices PageLines CSS classes or try other layouts that will match with iPhone (which is used by 70% of readers of some blogs...).

I already noticed that the "2-3 columns layout" sections are not "fully responsive"on this device: but the Bootstrap Grid within in a post or a textbox or whatever is better. Which seems counterintuitive and make useless some DMS basic features, but I'll deal with it.

Best regards.

Rob

Thank you both for your understanding!

coachkriswatkins

Quick question.  I have designed a few sites with DMS and I am working on a third.   

The sites ChuckyFrierson.com have the standard mobile version of the site.  However the site I started on this am CoachKrisWatkins.com does not it goes to the normal looking site with no mobile version (which is what I want it to look like).  I do know I can go to the settings change to check the box to use the old framework and change options to disable mobile, but I have NEVER done this for the CoachKrisWatkins.com site but yet it still shows without the mobile version.....I used a two column format on the CoachKrisWatkins.com and a 3 column on the others could this be the reason?

pehja

I dont know if I am the right person to answer this. But I have a site with the old framework installed at first, where I disabled the settings. Then I installed DMS. That site also looks like I want, with the mobile settings disabled.

How ever if you install a fresh site with only DMS, the site will be Mobile friendly...so to speak. 

Maybe this answered your question to how, but not why.

Pehja Production.png

Rob

Peter, you're right.  Not sure why this happens.

But for those who want to disable mobile view, and created only with DMS, I'd really suggest using the V2 Compatibility Option, and disable mobile view there, then switch back to normal DMS.  That should leave DMS without mobile view.

Thanks for that insightful posting!