Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hansonexperience

Relation between Pagelines in WordPress Admin and DMS?

hansonexperience

I now have v2 of pagelines checked in DMS and I see a lot of options more in my admin. But how do they relate with each other? What is leading and how do they interfere with each other when I choose the drag&drop in the admin in wordpress or the dms live editing in chrome?

Danny

Hi,

This is option is to help users who are wish to migrate from Framework to DMS. The way it works is that any sections you have added in your templates should show in the Visual Editor in DMS front end and vice versa. The option is only available now and will be removed in 3.1.

If you make changes in the v2 compatibility drag and drop area, then these changes should take effect on the front end too. However, there may be inconsistencies between the two, due to the differences in both products. Its just there to help you. 

Please search our forums, before posting!

hansonexperience

Yes I saw some inconsistencies. That was the reason I asked. I find it not clear all these versions. What's the best to start with as I am testing right now to see if and what I want to do with Pagelines. As mentioned I use now iblogpro 4 stand alone. But it is a bit confusing what to choose now.

I was working with dms in chrome. But it seems that I have to built my weblog (http://www.hansonexperience.com) new from scratch? Or does it work when I install DMS?§

Danny

DMS allows has a front end visual editor, that allows you to create any kind of layout you like. As well as position sections in multiple columns, layouts etc.. Its difficult to explain and the best course of action is to simply try it.

If you're used to working with your typical Wordpress theme such as iBlogPro 4, then DMS will be a completely new experience to you, but on I think you will enjoy. You have much more freedom with DMS.

hansonexperience

Yes i've worked with now for several days on a testblog. And I like it. It is very userfriendly indeed. But what will happen with the layout of my blog when I install DMS?

Danny

If you're using DMS, then what do you mean what happens when you install DMS ?

If you're using the Visual Editor you have DMS installed already?

Danny

Ah OK, sorry the way it sounded, its like you already had.

Basically, its like installing and activating any other Wordpress theme. Your blog will take on the design and layout of the default layout of DMS. What I recommend is using an application like MAMP and recreate your design locally. This is what most developers do, installing a new product on a live site is a bad idea due to the amount of changes that can take place.

You can find more information on MAMP (Mac only) here - http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html

If you're using Windows I recommend you use XAMPP. http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

hansonexperience

Ok. Thx for the tip! I am going to look into that. I am not a programmer ;-0

Danny

MAMP or similar applications, may seem overwhelming at first but they are definitely worth it and can save you a lot of messing around, as you no longer need to update your live site first. You can update your local site and see if the update or changes you make will cause any issues.

hansonexperience

It is a bit overwhelming. I installed it and downloaded my site and database. Imported the database. But when I try to login to wordpress it points to my site online..... So a bit confusing. I changed the wp-config to the right database local.

LECDelhi

Danny,

I am using DMS for the first time. I never coded actually

Today I was trying buy a plugin and realized that i don't have all the options in Pagelines WP admin page.

I can see only to options

1.Dashboard

2.DMS Tools

I don't have 

• site options
  • page options
  • drag & drop
  • store

in WP dashboard? is that a problem? or it doesn't come for new users?

hansonexperience

Hi LECDelphi

if you check the pageline v2 box in global options you will also have these things.

hansonexperience

MAMP or similar applications, may seem overwhelming at first but they are definitely worth it and can save you a lot of messing around, as you no longer need to update your live site first. You can update your local site and see if the update or changes you make will cause any issues.

I finally have my blog now on localhost. Great!!

Danny

LECDelhi

All DMS options, features, sections etc.. are on the front end now. When you're logged in, visit your websites front end and you will see the DMS Toolbar at the bottom of your screen.

hansonexperience, Nice one! Now you can feel l33t ;)

Danny

Thanks for sharing.

hansonexperience

Danny but now I have a problem. I installed DMS on my localhost website and layout is almost ok (some weird characters although), but when starting Chrome and login the visual editor is not there. The layout is completetyl a mess or better say there is no layout. So I cannot test.....

Danny

Can you provide a screenshot of your issue, as I have about 40 DMS test sites running on MAMP and have no issue.

Danny

hmmm.

Can yuo open your local site in Goolge Chrome and open the web dev tools and see if there are errors (bottom right corner), if there are, please take a screenshot of the errors.

hansonexperience

Danny disabled all plugins and nowI can see the visual editor! Seems to be a plugin messing up

Danny

OK, awesome. Nice catch too, some plugins are just badly coded.

I would recommend only installing plugins that are from the popular filter in the Wordpress plugins repo.