Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ssteinerX

281k Stylesheet?!

ssteinerX

I noticed that my new site was loading really, really, really slowly.  Like 10 seconds.

So I profiled it...

See attached.

It takes almost 7 seconds to return the main CSS file it which probably means it's being put together on the fly and the PHP code doing it is not very efficient.

The result: 11684 lines of CSS?  281k of *stylesheet*?!

281k for a stylesheet, for a zero page site with nothing on it is excessive, at best.

Seems like the kitchen sink is being thrown in when only a drop of CSS is needed...

It also doesn't seem to be getting cached, which is a large part of the problem since it gets loaded on every refresh.

S

Danny

Hi,

Can you enable Debug Mode and your servers PHP info too, information on how to use debug mode and get your PHP info can be found here - 

If you view your compiled CSS here, you can see that it loads instantly. http://appstore.fruitjuiceapp.com/?pageless=1_1376169745

If you want to cache your files, you will need to use either W3 Total Cache or WP Super Cache.

If your site is taking nearly 10 seconds to load and is a blank page, then this isn't an issue related to DMS but your servers configuration. I have several test sites on my Linode VPS and none of the sites take longer than 1.5 seconds to load and these test sites are full with sections. 

Please search our forums, before posting!

ssteinerX

Hi,

Can you enable Debug Mode and your servers PHP info too, information on how to use debug mode and get your PHP info can be found here - 

If you view your compiled CSS here, you can see that it loads instantly. http://appstore.fruitjuiceapp.com/?pageless=1_1376169745

If you want to cache your files, you will need to use either W3 Total Cache or WP Super Cache.

If your site is taking nearly 10 seconds to load and is a blank page, then this isn't an issue related to DMS but your servers configuration. I have several test sites on my Linode VPS and none of the sites take longer than 1.5 seconds to load and these test sites are full with sections. 

Link to PHP info/debug mode didn't come through.   What is it that you're wanting to see, specifically?

While the compiled file loads faster, that doesn't seem to be the issue.  

The issue seems to be that it takes 7 seconds to compile it on every page load i.e. there may be some flaw in the logic that detects whether any of the source files has changed.  I'm not thinking that one of the caching plugins will be able to avoid this step if the program flow insists that the recompilation needs to be done.  

As a general rule, I always enable caching last to make sure I'm not doing something avoidable and time consuming in uncached mode -- like this.

Thanks,

S

ssteinerX

W3 Total cache does not solve the issue with all caching options on.  

This is from two subsequent loads:

/* CSS was compiled at Sun, 11 Aug 13 16:43:17 +0000 and took 3.33981 seconds using 31.53MB of unicorn dust.*/

/* CSS was compiled at Sun, 11 Aug 13 16:43:17 +0000 and took 3.33981 seconds using 31.54MB of unicorn dust.*/

So, the 281k, 11k + line CSS file is not being regenerated on every page load as I had suspected (which is great!), but still takes ~7 seconds to load and is never loaded from cache (according to the browser), which is not great.

So, it's not getting recompiled each time, but it's still huge, won't cache in the browser, and takes ~7 seconds to load.

Very mysterious...

S

Danny

The issue is most definitely server related.

From what I know, the compiled CSS is the last thing to load. Therefore, its taking several seconds, because other items on your site are taking several seconds to finishing loading.

I have just ran a check my test sites and none of them are having an issue.

/* CSS was compiled at Fri, 02 Aug 13 15:31:33 +0000 and took 1.62286 seconds using 32.68MB of unicorn dust.*/

/* CSS was compiled at Fri, 02 Aug 13 15:33:12 +0000 and took 1.42946 seconds using 32.68MB of unicorn dust.*/

/* CSS was compiled at Fri, 02 Aug 13 15:34:46 +0000 and took 1.23177 seconds using 32.68MB of unicorn dust.*/

So if you can provide your PHP info and enable Debug mode, it will help us identify if the issues is server related.

ssteinerX

The issue is most definitely server related.

From what I know, the compiled CSS is the last thing to load. Therefore, its taking several seconds, because other items on your site are taking several seconds to finishing loading.

I have just ran a check my test sites and none of them are having an issue.

/* CSS was compiled at Fri, 02 Aug 13 15:31:33 +0000 and took 1.62286 seconds using 32.68MB of unicorn dust.*/

/* CSS was compiled at Fri, 02 Aug 13 15:33:12 +0000 and took 1.42946 seconds using 32.68MB of unicorn dust.*/

/* CSS was compiled at Fri, 02 Aug 13 15:34:46 +0000 and took 1.23177 seconds using 32.68MB of unicorn dust.*/

So if you can provide your PHP info and enable Debug mode, it will help us identify if the issues is server related.

Actually, the CSS is started fairly early in the process and takes long enough that everything else is pretty much done by the time it finishes.   Google's developer tools profiler shows this very clearly.

I have had to move on from DMS for this project.  While I was hoping to use it, I have already spent far too much time trying to figure out this issue and have to move on...for now.

Thanks,

S

Danny

I'm sorry to hear that but the issue isn't DMS specific and is most likely your server configuration. I have several installation 5 on Linode and 2 on FlyWheel and I experience no performance issues you're reporting.

You also still haven't enabled PL Debug mode or provided your PHP info, without this we can't diagnose your issue.

ssteinerX

I'm sorry to hear that but the issue isn't DMS specific and is most likely your server configuration. I have several installation 5 on Linode and 2 on FlyWheel and I experience no performance issues you're reporting.

You also still haven't enabled PL Debug mode or provided your PHP info, without this we can't diagnose your issue.

I ran out of time on this.  I'll come back to it when the current project crunch is over.

Thanks for your help,

S