Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ssteinerX

Default page doesn't validate

ssteinerX

I've just set up my first DMS site.

With default WordPress data, the page doesn't validate.

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://appstore.fruitjuiceapp.com/

100% validation is a requirement before deploying any client work at my company for reasons that should be obvious.

DMS Support -- how do we get this resolved so I can continue my evaluation of your product for possible deployment on client sites?

Thanks,

Steve

Rob

Steve,

DMS uses Twitter Bootstrap, LESS, Javascript, compiled CSS and CSS3.  Many of these won't validate via traditional HTML validators. There are no LESS validators, nor any I know of that validate Bootstrap.

So unfortunately, there's no way to truly validate a DMS page, given the current state of 3rd party validators.  It's unfortunate, as LESS and Bootstrap are out well more than a year and still await the creation of successful validation systems.

I cannot imagine how your company will deal with this, but please let them know that it's not us, but the organizations that provide the validation that are failing here.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob

PS, I don't know if this would work, but perhaps you can view the source in a different browser (iike Firefox), save the source and try validating that, as the LESS should be created into standard CSS that way.

ssteinerX

So unfortunately, there's no way to truly validate a DMS page, given the current state of 3rd party validators.  It's unfortunate, as LESS and Bootstrap are out well more than a year and still await the creation of successful validation systems.

I cannot imagine how your company will deal with this, but please let them know that it's not us, but the organizations that provide the validation that are failing here.

I'm using the W3C HTML validator, not a "3rd party validator".  The W3.org validator is THE validator.

LESS is not involved since it's validating the HTML returned by the site, nothing to do with the backend.

If you install WP, install and activate DMS, then go to http://validator.w3.org and put in the URL of your test site, you can see what I mean.

If you check the default WP install as suggested above, you'll see that there are structural problems with the HTML i.e. extra closing tags etc. that are the result of HTML generation errors either within WordPress itself, or within DMS.

We have been deploying 100% valid WP sites right along, so I'm guessing the unbalanced tags are being generated from within DMS (or perhaps within one of the libraries included therein).   

If it's in the DMS code, then you can fix it.  If it's in a 3d party lib included in DMS, then I think it would be a good idea to let them know (or better yet, provide a patch) so they can be valid, too.  

In my experience, 99% of the "browser issues" are actually invalid HTML being interpreted differently by different browsers.  Once the code's valid, the cross-browser issues we have to deal with are minimal.

In any case, having DMS produce 100% valid HTML would be a worthy goal...

Thanks,

S

Danny

HI,

The issue is Bootstrap v2, as it has multiple CSS rules so that Bootstrap will work on old browsers such as IE7, this isn't an issue with DMS but Bootstrap.

However, from viewing your sites validation, there appears to be an issue with mobile menu adding a </li> tag, when it isn't actually needed.

There is also an issue with MediaBoxes not adding alt tags, which is needed for validation. I have reported both issues.

Please search our forums, before posting!

ssteinerX

HI,

The issue is Bootstrap v2, as it has multiple CSS rules so that Bootstrap will work on old browsers such as IE7, this isn't an issue with DMS but Bootstrap.

However, from viewing your sites validation, there appears to be an issue with mobile menu adding a </li> tag, when it isn't actually needed.

There is also an issue with MediaBoxes not adding alt tags, which is needed for validation. I have reported both issues.

This is not CSS validation, just HTML, so I'm not sure how Bootstrap's CSS is relevant.

Thank you for reporting the other two issues.  Hopefully they will fix them and move DSS one step closer towards fully valid.

Thanks,

S

Rob

Bootstrap is not simply CSS. It's a complex code.  Since it comes from Twitter, and we're only using it, we cannot change it.