Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leopold

Can I create a page like PageLines Documentations?

Danny

Hi,

The PageLines DMS Documentation isn't powered by DMS, but GitHub pages, a markdown compiler and styled via Bootstrap. We did intend to use DMS to create our docs but thought that having them created and hosted on GitHub instead would be better for both our docs team and our users.

The reason for this is, its super easy to contribute to the docs, you simply create a free account on GitHub and if you notice any mistakes, you can either create an issues or fork the docs, make your changes then submit a pull request.

Regarding your question, the docs homepage is nothing more than HTML. What is it you want to do ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

leopold

Thanks. I just wanted to check whtether DMS has this section. If not, I will just built it manually. Thanks

barkingsheltie

Hi,

The PageLines DMS Documentation isn't powered by DMS, but GitHub pages, a markdown compiler and styled via Bootstrap. We did intend to use DMS to create our docs but thought that having them created and hosted on GitHub instead would be better for both our docs team and our users.

The reason for this is, its super easy to contribute to the docs, you simply create a free account on GitHub and if you notice any mistakes, you can either create an issues or fork the docs, make your changes then submit a pull request.

Regarding your question, the docs homepage is nothing more than HTML. What is it you want to do ?

Danny,

Will there be a way to search the docs?  For example, Rob, who is obviously overloaded with support questions, :), has directed many of us to the docs for answers. And that is fine - however, with search capability, we could potentially drill down much quicker.

Yesterday questions on 404 page editing came up, and we were directed to the docs. I re-read them last night, but unless I overlooked, I didn't see specific references. If search had been available, I could have saved some time. In contrast, I use the search for the forums often. 

I'd like to suggest an idea for docs too. If over time, some of the more enterprising, adept users would like to contribute full tutorials, would there be a way to include these on GitHub?  They could be culled out with advisory, "use at your own risk"!, but I imagine many of them would be really helpful, especially for many of us who are brand new to pagelines & DMS. 

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool"
Richard P. Feynman

Rob

I can't answer about the search functions but, if you look at the bottom, you can see there's a link that lets you suggest additions or changes to the docs, which are now a community effort.  Please feel free to make recommendations.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur